Quicken for Mac, buy security in Transactions, that security NOT in Dashboard or Portfolio

Options
sappersix
sappersix Member ✭✭

Hi, I'm using Quicken for Mac Version 7.2.1 (Build 702.49920.100)

In Brokerage or IRA accounts, there are some downloaded buy transactions that I clearly see in the Transactions tab. However, the same security does not appear in the Dashboard or Portfolio tab.

The security IS listed in the Securities list (Window—>Securities)

The financial institution is UBS Financial Services Inc using Direct Connect.

Also, if I manually enter a buy for one of the securities in question, that security still does not show up in the Dashboard or Portfolio views.

Can anyone provide some guidance of what may be happening?

Comments

• sappersix
    sappersix Member ✭✭
    Options

Additional info.

I noticed that when I enter any security transaction in one of my UBS accounts (linked with Direct Connect) that the manual entry does not show up in Dashboard and Portfolio.

However, I created a new offline Brokerage account and added a security. That security immediately shows up in Dashboard and Portfolio.

So this is clearly an issue or mis-configuration on my UBS-linked accounts.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I would look in your transaction register for a placeholder transaction, often way back at the beginning of your transaction history. If Quicken has created a placeholder which is setting your holding of this security to zero, then adding shares will not change anything because the placeholder will adjust to zero them out. Sometimes the solution is as simple as deleting the placeholder, sometimes not, but it's worth looking.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • sappersix
    sappersix Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs, THANK YOU!

I deleted the placeholder and now security holdings appear as expected.

I had no idea that's how placeholder transactions work…

This discussion has been closed.