R51.12 changed account columns - adding fields (amount, flag, actions) (edit)

madeira
madeira Member ✭✭

Good morning. I'm an old user and after updating Quicken to version 51.12 the system changed the account columns adding fields that I never use (amount, flag, actions bottons, etc).
A warning appeared that the "use new subscriber" option would be turned on, when in fact it wasn't.

I have not been able to return my accounts to their previous format and I am having to change everything. Has anyone registered this instability as well?

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

In the Register view - go to the upper corner "gear" Settings and select the columns you want displayed…

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023

I do not think this issue is version related. I am still running R49.29 and the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago with every one of my data files (4 main files, 7 test files).

Like @madeira, when I opened a data file I got the same popup that New Subscriber settings would be turned on. There was no way to stop that from happening and when I went to my Preference for Setup I found that the box for it had become checked.

Unchecking that box caused all of my registers views to revert to the Quicken defaults. I've spent a fair chunk of time the last 2 days manually changing the register views for each account in each file back to how I want them.

It would not have been so bad if I could have simply restored backup files to fix the issue but each of the backup files I'd opened had the same issue.

To make matters worse, the command to apply the register settings I'd made to one account to all other accounts of the same type has not been working (well, it worked in one file but not in the others).

Some have been reporting that their investment account setting has been getting changed from Complete Investing to Simple Investing. Coincidence? Hmmm….

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 Quicken Windows Subscription Alumni ✭✭✭✭

yikes - will have to watch my R47.15 for any of these Quicken self-inflicted disasters…

• Boatnmaniac

I think it was sometime within the past year where I started observing issues with some Preferences getting changed without my causing it.

The first time was when I went to restore a backup file and the one that I'd expected to see was not there. I have my backup settings to automatically back up after every session and to retain the last 35 backup files. But what had happened was that something changed my Preference to back up after every 30 days and retain only the last 1 file. This caused two significant issues: 1) It deleted all of my backup files except for 1 (the most recent) and 2) My most recent backup file was not about 2 wks old instead of from just the day before. This is a Preference that gets saved in the software so this affected every unique name/ID data file I had. To this day I don't know if this happened because of a version update or something else.

On a couple of other occasions I found my global Preference for investment accounts was changed from not having Simple Investing enabled to having it enabled. This happened during and shortly after a version update (I can't remember which one) that affected all my data files. But that was not the main issue. The main issue is that it cause all of my investment accounts to be changed from Complete to Simple…on the General tab of Account Details. I'm thankful that I caught the issue the same day so no harm was done but it took several days before this issue stopped recurring. I resolved this issue by reverting to my earlier version.

What's interesting is that with R51.12 there have been some user posts saying they are seeing the same issue….Complete Investing investment accounts have been switched to Simple Investing.

Another time it was that the global Preference was changed to automatically add downloaded banking transactions to the account registers. That one was found quickly because I always review transactions before letting them get entered into the registers. And it affected only 1 data file. So no harm done. This one happened right after a version update was completed.

And now this "new user" setting issue.

So, 2 issues that were caused by version updates (at least that is my assumption), 1 that was not caused by a version update (this "new user" issue) and 1 that I don't know whether or not it was caused by a version update.

It's gotten to the point where I don't trust the Preferences to stay put. Now I check the Preferences for every unique name/ID data file every Sunday and after every version update just for peace of mind that everything is still OK.

• Q97
    Q97 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭✭✭

If you didn’t get a version update, is Quicken pushing these types of settings changes via OSU? That seems ill-advised.

• Boatnmaniac

@Q97 - Good question. We just don't know. My guess is that Quicken is not pushing anything regarding these Preferences changes. If it were, then I would think these Preference changes would affect all Quicken users and not be some random thing that affects only some users.

Rather, I'm guessing that there is some sort of instability in the program and/or the data file and/or the Cloud Account that will sometimes trigger Preference changes. That trigger might be a version update or it might be something else.

Whatever the cause might be, unless the Quicken team can duplicate the issue there is not much they can do to fix that instability or cause. That's why it is important to report these types of things when they occur. It will let them know so they can then try to duplicate the issue and put a fix in place. But if it's really a random, low frequency issue, Quicken might not be able to duplicate the issue.

• belfen19
    belfen19 Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I'm having the same problem. I opened up a file I've been using for many years, and got the pop-up "New Subscriber settings will be turned on"

Turned it off, and all my register settings were wiped out, and I had to spend time changing each and every one back the way I had it.

This discussion has been closed.