Help please with reports (Q Mac)

Options
Weiner
Weiner Member
edited September 2023 in Reports (Mac)

I am an amateur ate. bookkeeping and I use the Mac version. I want to do a report showing a condensed in-and-out expense but showing a bank balance, I can do the in-and-out fine, but I would like to show how much Quicken says I have in the bank.

Thank you in advance for any Ideas.

Weiner

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You can't do that in one report, but the Net Worth report will show your bank balance as of whatever end date you specify. If you don't want to show any other accounts you have in Quicken, you can set the report to show just the one account you want, and save it as a custom report you can re-use in the future.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Weiner
    Weiner Member
    Options

Thank you I did find out that by going into the advanced tab you can show a quarter with the bank balance showing at the beginning and at the end, I clicked on advance and then balance forward and then balance. That gave me waht I wanted. Thank you for your reply.

Weiner

• jacobs
    Options

@Weiner I'm glad you figured out how to get what you want, but I'm interested in what report you did. I can't find any which give an opening and closing balance for an account. The Net Worth reports don't have and Advanced tab, so I was thinking you were using a Transaction report or Summary report of some kind, but I don't see any option to show the balance forward and ending balance in such a report. There's a checkbox for Adjustments, which will include any transactions which use the Adjustment category — but not an opening balance… unless your opening balance transaction is included in the time period of the report and uses the Adjustment category. But the next month, the report will only show the transactions for that month, with no opening or closing balance. So I'm interested if you found some way to do this on an ongoing basis.

• Weiner
    Weiner Member
    Options

Category Summary by Month, then the advance tab in edit click on cash flow.

• jacobs
    Options

Thanks. That's what I tried. But it doesn't show opening or closing account balance. It shows total inflows and total outflows for the selected time period. The checkbox for "Include balance forward and adjustments" refers to Adjustments; if you click the little ? icon to the left, you'll see it says:

So all that checkbox does is include in the report any transactions which use the "Adjustment" category (or self-transfers to the same account). So if you happen to have your account's opening balance in the selected time period, the opening balance transaction does use the "Adjustment" category, so you'll see Opening Balance as a transaction. But if you don't have the opening balance transaction in your time period, there's nothing that will get you an opening balance or ending balance. This makes sense, because this is a category summary report, which shows income and expenses (and, if checked, any adjustment transactions). Only a Net Worth report shows a balance as of a specified date.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong. 😀 But I think you may have just misunderstood what you were seeing.

• Weiner
    Weiner Member
    Options

Well, it worked for me our group is only 3 months of records, it shows my opening balance at the top left and at the end of the month, it shows the change +or- and at the end of the three months it shows my bank balance, as I mentioned I have a limited income and expanse, we are just a building board with a small income stream.

So maybe on a bigger budget etc it might not work, but you can see from the boxes I ticked it worked.

• jacobs
    Options

I was just explaining that it won't work for you in the future as you have more data, because the report isn't actually showing opening and closing balances. You're just seeing the opening balance adjustment entry currently, but if you set your starting date to sometime after that (say, 7/1), you'll see there's no opening balance.

• Weiner
    Weiner Member
    Options

thAnk you we shall see if it works long term.

This discussion has been closed.