Is there a way to sort portfolio view and cost basis report by values not alphabetical order?

Options
questionsforever
questionsforever Member ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I am running this report with selected securities and it seems to produce report in alphabetical stock name order. There is no option on the report to sort or click to sort by the cost or market value column that is generated. Is it possible or a feature not implemented yet?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Within Portfolio View you can sort on any column by left clicking on the title of the column heading. You can sort ascending or descending by alternate clicks.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Portfolio Value and Cost Basis report is not sortable. As @Tom Young pointed out, the Portfolio views on the Investing tab can be sorted by clicking on the column headers.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

@questionsforever On the Investments tab, if you change the "group by" to Security, it will allow you to sort by cost. After you create your report, I think you can just click on the cost column of your report to sort it. If you run a report and export it to Excel, you then can sort by cost in Excel.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yes, I had to export to excel and sort there because I use Canadian Quicken and the portfolio view only shows the data in US currency for us stocks and the cost basis report allows both cad currency & to set transaction exchange rate. It's only way to get accurate multi-currency cost basis the right way. Even doing this, it is somewhat off from the broker because Quicken has not perfect download of exchange rates for every single day and also depends what date you entered for each trade, etc. It is very close however so I can confirm it is working correctly their algorithm.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

But I think you can also sort the report while it's still in the report window by clicking on the "Cost" column of the report.

• questionsforever
    Options

There are no columns that are clickable in the cost basis report. It seems to spit out in alphabetical stock name order. Note that I used the select specific securities in the configuration of the report, but I don't think it matters, the other 2 columns (cost basis and balance) are not sortable.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

If you run a "Portfolio Value" report, all of the columns are sortable. It has other items on it, but I hope that won't make a big difference for you and you still find the report usable.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@questionsforever sorry for the confusion, whenever I need cost information, I always run the "Portfolio Value" report. If I need historical cost information, I sometimes use the "Portfolio Value and Cost" report. I should have made it clear that I was referring to a different report than the one you were using.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks for the tip! That report does it all and is sortable.

Only weird thing is there is a -Cash- entry with a negative value that does not affect the totals at all as the cost basis is also negative. even though I unselected no securities including cash in the setup of the report, and unchecked everything I can imagine, this entry shows up all the time, for any period of the report. Any idea what it can be?

The photo shows this entry and 1 of the stocks in the report, among others…

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That happens if you have a closed "non-investment" account such as a savings account coded with the intent of "Investment" or "Retirement". I have no idea why it does this. It may be a defect in programming. To make that negative amount go away, you will need to find the offending account and change the intent from "Investment" or "Retirement" to anything else. In my opinion, I would just leave things as is, as it doesn't really affect anything.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you subtotal the portfolio by account, you may be able to easily find the account(s) that are causing the negative cash.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

I only have one a.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

Is it possible that you have another non-investment account coded with the intent of "Investment" or "Retirement"? Otherwise, that cash is indeed a mystery. The good news is that it doesn't harm anything by being there.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

I'm a bit confused by this suggestion. The account is 'Brokerage Account' and is greyed out. There is only one account in the report. The two options for brokerage account are investment and retirement. You can't seem to change the type from Brokerage though as it is grey.

Now the account has a 'linked cash checking account' and the sub-types there are spending, saving , asset. (it is currently set to saving).

Could the linked checking account of the investment account be the cause of this? I have tried it with even just 1 stock and this 1 US dollar investment account but this negative cash shows up. I am thinking it could be a corruption within the linked checking account in the background somewhere but all verifications pass fine.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

It could be that the linked checking account is causing this negative cash amount. You mentioned that you excluded cash from your report. Try running the report again with cash included and see what happens. The cash amount on the report should be the cash balance in the linked checking account.

• questionsforever
    Options

no difference with no security (plus cash) ticked. Same negative balance.

• questionsforever
    Options

Oh I didn't wait around.

The start and end times I got from the log file it generated )

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That neg cash is a mystery. I have always been able to tie it back to a cash account that is "intended" to be an investment or retirement account. Well again, the good news is that it doesn't affect your cost amounts.

The account intent can be found in Account Details on the Display Options tab.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My -Cash- value presented in the Portfolio Value report ties to the cash balance in each account in all cases. The line is omitted of the cash balance is $0.

You might try varying the date of the report to see how that changes the -Cash- line. If you can find a $0 date and then the next day there is a -Cash- value, you could narrow down to what type of transaction is leaving that value behind. I would be suspicious of perhaps a placeholder - hidden or visible.

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@q_lurker that is what the cash amount is supposed to be, but I have confirmed that there is some quirkiness in that cash amount reported when you omit certain cash options in the report, or if you have a closed "non-investment" account with the intent of "Investment" or Retirement". I can reproduce this "quirkiness" consistently in my own accounts and tie it back to the cause.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

My cash balance is negative (margin account), but the value in this report is always the same, negative amount. But it is nowhere near the actual negative cash balance in the account. I'd say its far smaller. I will have to look in the account but off the top of my head can't figure out why this random value.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but the value in this report is always the same, negative amount. 

I understand that as you continue to look at the report through ‘today’ (?), you continue to see the same negative value. But have you cut the time frame to 12/31/22, 12/31/21, 6/30/21, etc., do you still get that same negative value? Does it ever change? Does it ever show $0?

I further understand that sometimes a ‘quirky’ cash value does appear. I’m not seeing that right now in my file. I’m trying to explain what steps I would take to diagnose the cause.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

Ok, I found a period that doesn't have it.

The first date of the transactions is 8/6/2010.

If I choose say 8/6/2010-8/31/2010, it disappears!

So I have to find the date when it appears and then what? Find some transaction that might have led to this? But what would I look for in the register? Note that the register has archived all closed transactions as this is a portfolio value/cost report for only open positions.

• questionsforever
    edited August 2023
    Options

I found the issue.

The offending transactions are all SPLIT transactions of currency withdrawals.

E.g. Payment of $3000 usd from the investment account to a CAD$ currency bank account as a deposit.

The split is causing this because When I remove the split and enter the split transactions separately, even across different currency accounts, the negative cash sum from the portfolio value report disappears.

Has anyone encountered split transactions causing reports to malfunction?

• QWinUser
    QWinUser Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@questionsforever - I have never seen that happen. But glad you found it. I knew that there had to be a transaction you could tie the negative cash amount to. The challenge is finding it. I think these cash amount that show up are programming bugs that go unnoticed until someone happens on them.

This discussion has been closed.