How to write a check entry in Quicken Mac

Options
Coleen Madigan
Coleen Madigan Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Registers & Transactions (Mac)

This new version and all the bells and whistles that I do not need, has obscured the simple task of finding "write checks' in Quicken. Would someone tell me when I have logged in #1 how to go directly to my bank account register AND

#2 where to find the 'Write checks' so I can do so and

#3 I have my own computer checks, can those not be used and we are forced to buy Intuit checks?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The best explanation on how to record register transactions and print checks in Q Mac that I know of is this slightly dated YouTube video:

It was created for Q Mac 2015, but the process still is about the same.

If your checks are "Quicken-compatible" then you can use them with Quicken, regardless of where you purchased them from.
    Be sure to select the correct Check Style.
    For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".

Also be sure to choose and test the proper selections for how to print a partial page in your printer … the settings to choose (e.g., horizontal vs. vertical feed) may depend on the make and model of printer that you use.

Quicken US version only: For a review of Quicken - compatible check styles and perhaps to order new check supplies, please see https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/checks (the website talks about checks for use with QuickBooks but the same style checks also work with Quicken)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There's nothing which has changed with regard to check printing over the past 9 years; did you just recently upgrade from the old Quicken Mac 2007?

In this Quicken Mac, you view your accounts in the left sidebar. If you just have one checking account, you should see All Transactions at the top, then Banking as a group heading beneath that, then the Cats heading beneath that, and then your actual checking account.

In my screenshot, my checking account is called "1-Checking" but yours will be whatever name you have for your checking account.

When you click on the the checking account in the left sidebar, your register for the account appears in the main part of the window to the right. This is where you see and enter your transactions. Click New (or press Command-N) to enter a new transaction. For a check you want to print, in the Check Number column, enter Print (or select it from the little pop-up menu which appears when you are in the Check Number field.

Once you have one or more transactions set to Print, from the File menu, select Print Checks. You'll see a dialog box with a list of checks which can be printed:

When you click the Print button, you'll go to the Print window. This is where you can enter the starting check number. There is also an Adjust Alignment checkbox which will allow you to move the check printing up and down or left and right if you need to fine-tune the position for your checks. For your first time, I'd suggest you print on plain paper, and then hold the printed page in front of a blank check in front of a light, so you can see if the printing is positioned correctly or needs to be adjusted.

You can use your own checks as long as they comply with the standard. The alignment fine-tuning only allows you to move everything up/down/left/right; you cannot adjust the printing of different fields independently.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.