Backup & Restore from Catalina to M2 Ventura - Account balances are wrong (edit)

Options
britchie911
britchie911 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭

I bought the latest MacBook Air 2023 with M2 chip and can't move my quicken data. The backup and restore completes successfully but the register balances are all higher. I opened a case with support #10383316 7 days ago and sent diagnostics logs from both machines. Still haven't heard from anyone and about to quit Quicken for good. Help!

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Well, there's no way anyone here can help you without knowing what specifically is off. This website isn't Quicken Support; we're fellow users along with some Quicken moderators, and we can't see your screen, so without more information, it's hard to know what's wrong or how to fix it. It's unlikely diagnostic logs will shed light on why Quicken on the new Mac with the restored backup doesn't exactly match Quicken on the old Mac. I can suggest some troubleshooting you might do…

Do you still have the old Catalina Mac? If so, can you open Quicken on that Mac and the new Mac at the same time to view the accounts side by side? That could make it easier to narrow down the problem.

Have you checked to make sure the backup you restored is the latest one from your old Mac? Are the most recent transactions you entered or downloaded on the old Mac present in Quicken on the new Mac? It's always possible you grabbed an older backup from the old Mac.

If you do have the old Mac, you might consider launching Quicken and creating a new backup, then bringing that backup to the new Mac and restoring it. If there was some glitch in your original backup, or you didn't have the latest file, this should solve that.

Next, I'd zero in on one specific account. How much does it differ from the old Mac? Can you tell looking at the transaction register what is different?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • britchie911
    britchie911 Unconfirmed, Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. Everything is up to date and correct on Catalina when I run Backup. I have a fresh .dmg installed on the M2 Ventura and after restore the balances are different. This is across three different Chase Accounts I have.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

As I mentioned above, I'd zero in on one specific account to try to determine what in the transaction register is different. It might simply be an Opening Balance adjustment Quicken inserted.

Pick your smallest or newest account which is off. Check the opening balance on the Catalina and Ventura Macs. Advance to December 31 of the first year, and check again: are the balances the same? Move forward a year. If the balances are different, move forward or back by six months, or one month, until you find where things diverge. Is data missing? Is a simple balance adjustment needed? With a little hunting, the answer will reveal itself, and then you'll be able to figure out how to proceed.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Instead of doing a Backup/Restore, have you tried just compressing the Quicken data file into a .zip, copying that over to the new system, unzipping it & opening it in Quicken? Does that still give you incorrect results?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.