Customizing Quicken Reports

Bert Onstott
Bert Onstott Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

Is there any feature for customizing Quicken reports; specifically the ones saved as excel files? I don't like the Income/Expense report format.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Although you can export Quicken reports to Excel and save them as Excel files within Excel, there's no reports in Quicken itself that are saved as Excel files. All reports are customizable to a certain extent, as allowed by the Quicken program. In any report you can click the Customize gearwheel icon and explore the customization options, and on the report itself are additional options as to presentation of the information.

Without knowing specifically what you want as to customization it's impossible to provide any detailed guidance. While you're viewing the customization screen pressing the f1 function key will bring up Quicken's help file that will explain all the customization features available.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins Quicken Windows 2017 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭✭

Thanks, David. I use the Income and Expense by Category report regularly to track expenses. I set up my reports quite differently than you. I include all accounts, all payees, and most categories. I exclude some of the categories provided by Quicken that I don't use. All of my accounts are updated using One Step Update.

I get a report that looks like this, which is very nice.

Then I export that to Excel, where it looks like this:

I don't like this format; the first column and top rows are a waste of space, and the category names are not indented (it really should mimic the format of the Quicken report using the Excel Subtotals function). So I edit it, which is laborious. (I could automate the editing with a VBA macro, but haven't yet.) I get this:

I do my budgeting in Excel since I can't add an IRA withdrawal (from an account I track in Quicken) as income.

Anyway, thanks, but I guess I'll keep on using Excel.

• mshiggins

You should be able to budget the income from your IRA withdrawals. In the Select Categories to Budget window, scroll down to find Transfers In and Transfers Out. Look for your IRA account in the Transfers In choices.

• Bert Onstott
    Bert Onstott Member ✭✭✭

Mike - no doubt that's true. But I can't make show up under income. At least I don't see how.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bert Onstott

Follow along:

• mshiggins

@Tom Young the pictures really help, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.