Portfolio value and net worth reports and graphs are wrong

Options
rellim
rellim Member
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have the latest updates. The portfilio value and net worth reports and graphs that have worked for years are no longer working. I tried creating new ones and they have the same problem. Most of the account values have been replaced with zeros. The main Home and Investing information when you first open up Quicken is correct.

These seem like genuine bugs and not user error. I have been using Quicken for 30 years and my data file is not corrupt.

I don't look at reports and graphs very often so I do not know when the problem first started. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Best Answers

• rellim
    rellim Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did a "validate and repair file". It found the following:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "Voya" 0/ 0/1900

Now the reports and graphs work again!

I'm not sure how that 1 transaction got screwed up but everything seems to be okay now.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MargueriteXX

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure Show Hidden transactions is checked. Look for and resolve any Placeholders in the problem account.

Since the Validate and Repair did not fix the problem, I suggest you run the Net Worth and Portfolio reports for just the problem account. In the past there have been issues with some versions of the reports. Try the built-in reports at Reports > Net Worth & Balances rather saved reports or ones accessed elsewhere and see if the problem persists.

Make sure the ending dates for the reports are both set to today.

If none of the above explains the issue, one thing you can do is to set the ending date for the reports back in time until the error goes away. Zero in on the date when it first occurs and look for a transaction on that date that might explain the issue.

Sometimes deleting and re-entering the suspicious transaction will fix a problem like this.

If a balance is left (sometimes just a few pennies) after the final sale for a security, make sure the Sell all shares in this account box is checked in the Sold transaction.

Be sure to back up your data file before altering historical data, just in case ...

Please post back and let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @rellim,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did you first notice this issue? Which version of Quicken were you using when it started? Is all the information in the investment accounts that the reports show at 0 correct? Are these accounts that you update manually, or do you have them connected in Quicken to be able to download from the financial institution(s)? Which financial institution(s) are the affected accounts with?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rellim
    rellim Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did a "validate and repair file". It found the following:

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    Quicken found an invalid transaction and removed it. "Voya" 0/ 0/1900

Now the reports and graphs work again!

I'm not sure how that 1 transaction got screwed up but everything seems to be okay now.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear it's working now.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• MargueriteXX
    Options

I'm having a similar problem with my net worth report and portfolio value showing different amounts for one investment account. The register is correct for that account as is the Investments Summary of Transactions but the net worth report is not. I have done a Validate and repair and it has not corrected the problem. Quicken has been updated. Suggestions for help?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@MargueriteXX

Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure Show Hidden transactions is checked. Look for and resolve any Placeholders in the problem account.

Since the Validate and Repair did not fix the problem, I suggest you run the Net Worth and Portfolio reports for just the problem account. In the past there have been issues with some versions of the reports. Try the built-in reports at Reports > Net Worth & Balances rather saved reports or ones accessed elsewhere and see if the problem persists.

Make sure the ending dates for the reports are both set to today.

If none of the above explains the issue, one thing you can do is to set the ending date for the reports back in time until the error goes away. Zero in on the date when it first occurs and look for a transaction on that date that might explain the issue.

Sometimes deleting and re-entering the suspicious transaction will fix a problem like this.

If a balance is left (sometimes just a few pennies) after the final sale for a security, make sure the Sell all shares in this account box is checked in the Sold transaction.

Be sure to back up your data file before altering historical data, just in case ...

Please post back and let us know what you find.

QWin Premier subscription
  • MargueriteXX
    Options

thank you, this was quite helpful and selecting the built in reports/net worth helped. problem fixed.

This discussion has been closed.