printing search results

Options
Jeanne
Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I'm searching for all payments to one payee over a long time. Sometimes those payments went thru a credit card with the "real" payee in the memo field. My preferred method would be to create a report, but I don't seem to be able to find all transactions with the name in either in the payee field or the memo field. So first, what am I doing wrong? Ought I be able to create such a report?

I've figured out the search bar at the top of the registers and the EDIT menu's FIND/REPLACE and how to print both of those. So I'm grateful for that much. But a report would be better.

Thanks for any additional direction.

Jeanne
Quicken Deluxe R51.12

Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can click on All Transactions at the top of the Account Bar, usually on the left side of your screen. You can search that view and print or export by clicking on File > Print All Transactions. The layout is not very flexible but you can get different layouts by clicking on the gear at the top right and selecting one or 2 line mode.

QWin Premier subscription
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Consider changing all Payee Names which went thru a credit card with the "real" payee in the memo field.

Use Edit / Find/Replace to replace the payee name with the desired real payee name.

Now that all transactions have the same Payee Name you can easily create an Easy Answer Report: How much did I pay to …? selecting the desired Payee Name.

Future transactions should be recorded using a Renaming Rule to ensure the correct Payee Name appears in the transaction, e.g., "Starbucks" instead of some bank-generated name like "POS DEBIT 230801 Starbu"

• Jeanne
    Jeanne Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UKR: Thanks for something I hadn't actually considered. I see now that I made life harder by NOT using Quicken to track credit cards until the past few years. Thus, when I go back as far as I can, sometimes my payee was a card company and the relevant payments were often buried among quite a few splits.

But this exercise is (I hope) a one-time thing and the problem won't recur when I only have to research recent years. I see now that a report that searches for
    ..name..
    for recent years will get me payments direct to the company and payments made via credit card.

Apologies for something of a false alarm, but you were helpful. I will certainly be alert to totally unintelligible downloaded names when they show up.

So thanks again,
    Jeanne

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sounds like you are tracking the credit card properly now instead of splitting the payment?

The proper way is to set up a credit card ACCOUNT and enter the charges into it when the purchase is made and assigning it to a category. The transactions need to be entered with the date you charged it, not the date you pay the credit card bill.

Then when you pay the bill you TRANSFER the payment from your checking account to the credit card account. Then when you download the payment from the bank you match it to the one you already entered.  Then your credit card account should match what you actually owe at any time.

When you enter the payment in your checking account you put the credit card account name in for the category using square brackets around the name to indicate it is a transfer...like this… [credit card] or newer versions have a Transfer column.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

This discussion has been closed.