Disappearing transactions

Options
GregT1988
GregT1988 Member

Recently I have noticed some transactions from the past six weeks disappearing from Quicken. I have also noticed that when I re-enter them after I type a few characters Quicken suggests the precise transaction (payee, amount, category, and memo) that I need to enter (see screen capture below). If instead of entering I bail out at this point and search (find all) I can't find a matching transaction in any account even though Quicken clearly has a memory of the transaction even though it's no longer in the register. For some transactions I've had this happen four times on four different days.

I do have one account to which I download transactions from a financial institution. No transactions have disappeared from this account. I re-entered several missing transactions yesterday to an account where no downloads happen. They were in the account when I closed Quicken yesterday, but were missing (again) when I first opened Quicken today. The sequence was enter transactions, observe that the register was up to date, backup Quicken, shut down, and twelve hours later restart Quicken and look for the transactions. When I typed a few letters the missing transaction is again suggested, but according to Find All it doesn't exist in the register for any account.

This behavior started about two weeks ago on August 5. I entered a reinvestment transaction for a retirement brokerage account and then realized that I had entered it into the wrong account. I right clicked and picked "Move transaction(s)" to move it to the correct account. Immediately after moving the transaction Quicken verified the file. When it reopened several minutes later most (but not all) of the transactions that I had entered for the previous week (in multiple accounts, not just the two involved in this movement) or more were gone. I then compared every account against my statements and re-entered the missing transactions.

Since then I have noticed more transactions disappearing, both transactions from before August 5 as well as newer transactions. Disappearances only happen between closing Quicken and reopening it on another day. They don't happen every time that I close and reopen Quicken, and they don't happen every time Quicken is closed overnight.

I am currently using Quicken for Windows subscription under Windows 11, Version R51.12, build 27.1.51.12. I believe that it has been updated since August 5.

Tagged:

Answers

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you syncing to Quicken Mobile and Web?

• GregT1988
    GregT1988 Member
    Options

I not syncing with Quicken Mobile and Web.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web. Is Sync ON or OFF?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I recommend you restore a backup taken before the issues began. It sounds like the transaction move and subsequent “verified” process damaged your data.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Terry Waters
    Options

I'm having similar issues with old reconciled transactions disappearing throwing my balance off. After going back and restoring a back-up file from a couple weeks previous Quicken will not re-download my recent transactions from USAA bank after the back-up date to present.

• as_hiker
    as_hiker Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm having a similar and very serious problem. One of the recommended fixes for a bank not downloading was to sign out complete, wait 30+ minutes, then sign in again. That didn't fix the problem but virtually every one of my accounts was impacted. These include: the opening balance being changed, transactions doubled, categories removed from transaction. In some cases it was just one transaction added to a register. In others, it looks like there was a lot of them. I'm not seeing a good alternative to fix these issues, and may have to go back several weeks, restore a backup, and redo the transactions since then. If anyone else has a better solution, I'm open to that.

But if this could happen to others, the "try this" step of signing out and signing back in should be removed from the troubleshooting suggestions until the bug is fixed.

• GregT1988
    GregT1988 Member
    Options

boatnmaniac:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web. Is Sync ON or OFF?

Sync is OFF. I'm not syncing to the web.

• GregT1988
    GregT1988 Member
    Options

Reverting to a backup is the only approach that I've come up with so far, but I wanted to at least explore the possibility that I'm running into a known issue before going there. It also looks like at least two others have run into trouble with downloaded transactions in related situations. I only have one account that I will need to repair if downloading doesn't resynchronize, but the reason I download the transactions in that account is because there are a lot of them. Even so that's probably not as much additional work as reentering everything else.

I was also hoping that someone affiliated with Quicken might respond before going down the path of restoring a backup, but that is looking less likely.

• GregT1988
    GregT1988 Member
    Options

I reverted to a Quicken backup from two weeks prior to when I noticed the disappearing transactions, to have some margin in case I mis-identified the cause of the problem. I then re-entered everything that occurred since then, over the course of several days while checking for missing transactions from the prior days. I haven't noticed any more disappearing transactions. I had no trouble resynchronizing the accounts where I download transactions, the downloads automatically went back to the first newly missing transaction and then forward from there.

I'm hoping that I'm now done with this.

After using Quicken for 35 years I had a false expectation that someone from Quicken might actually respond to a report of a bug in their software. I guess my expectations are out of date. Fortunately other Quicken users are still helpful.

• MichaelKlich
    MichaelKlich Member ✭✭
    Options

i am having the same issues… trancations get entered and then disappear… these are mostly non reconciled transactions…
    OMG if reconciled ones disappear too, then this is crappy software… I have been a user for a long time. this is unacceptable…

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've never had that happen to me, so it's not the software or we'd all have the same problem. I suggest you follow the steps posted above to revert to a backup when your issue(s) was not present.

This discussion has been closed.