QMac won't print checks

Options
Del Ray
Del Ray Member

QMac: 7.2.1

Mac OS: Ventura 14.4.1(c)

I recently switched from QWin to QMac and I can't print checks. I use Command-J, the simulated check screen appears, payee, amount, etc. is entered, the "I will print this check" check box is activated, finally. I click "save.

I then go to File>Print Checks. A "Print Checks" box appears and it contains the correct payee, amount, etc. I click "Print".

Data is sent to the printer, the printer starts up, goes though the print cycle and ejects a completely blank page

The printer has ink, I am able to print from Word, Excel, Mail etc without any problems. I just printed a screenshot of this page.

Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks.,

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Del Ray Your set-up all looks correct. It seems there's some issue with the check formatting and your printer or printer driver software.

Try this test:

• Put plain paper in your printer.
    • In the Print dialog box above, check the box for Adjust Alignment.
    • Click the Print button
    • Uncheck the Alignment checkbox, and click Cancel.

This should print a dummy check with an alignment grid on the right side. Does it print?

Next test:

• Make sure you have only one check (like the Test you showed in the screenshot) selected for printing.
    • In the Print dialog box above, change the Check Style to Standard
    • Click the Print button

Does this print?

If those fail to print, try one more test:

• Make sure you have only one check (like the Test you showed in the screenshot) selected for printing.
    • In the Print dialog box above, change the Check Style back to Wallet
    • At the bottom of the Print dialog box, pull down the PDF menu to select Open in Preview
    • Does Preview open, showing a one-page document of your check?
    • If yes, select File > Print in Preview

Does the check print? Hold this blank page up against your check stock to see if it's aligned reasonably well. If you, then you have a pretty easy work-around for whatever the printer issue is: in Quicken, print to Preview, then Print from Preview. It only adds a couple seconds and one extra step to printing checks.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Of the listed checks in the Print Checks dialog, did you select at least one of them to be printed?

Prior to doing so, did you select the desired check style?

https://help.quicken.com/display/MAC/Writing%2Band%2Bprinting%2Bchecks

• Del Ray
    Del Ray Member
    Options

I’ll take a look and let you know.

Thank you.

• Del Ray
    Del Ray Member
    Options

Hi UKR. Unfortunately settings were correct (I believe). Screenshots follow. See any errors?

Check tone is selected

And the check style is set correctly: USA-Wallet. Thumbnail looks OK.

What do you think. Still no print after making these setting were the ones I was using.

User error? Glitch? Area 51 interference?

Any further ideas much appreciated.

Del Ray

• Del Ray
    Del Ray Member
    Options

I have no idea how my reply repeated itself. Area 51?

Forgot to mention I can print reports, etc from Quicken with no problems. Checks are the one problem.

Del Ray

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Del Ray Your set-up all looks correct. It seems there's some issue with the check formatting and your printer or printer driver software.

Try this test:

• In the Print dialog box above, check the box for Adjust Alignment.
    • Click the Print button
    • Uncheck the Alignment checkbox, and click Cancel.

This should print a dummy check with an alignment grid on the right side. Does it print?

Next test:

• In the Print dialog box above, change the Check Style to Standard
    • Click the Print button

Does this print?

If those fail to print, try one more test:

• In the Print dialog box above, change the Check Style back to Wallet
    • At the bottom of the Print dialog box, pull down the PDF menu to select Open in Preview
    • Does Preview open, showing a one-page document of your check?
    • If yes, select File > Print in Preview

Does the check print? Hold this blank page up against your check stock to see if it's aligned reasonably well. If you, then you have a pretty easy work-around for whatever the printer issue is: in Quicken, print to Preview, then Print from Preview. It only adds a couple seconds and one extra step to printing checks.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Community webpage has a few finicky selections. Clicking "Did this answer the question? Yes" will mark whichever comment you clicked on as "This is the Best Answer. It solved the problem" and duplicate the comment as the first comment in the thread … even if it really isn't the solution to the problem.
    I took the liberty of unchecking the selection, to make the duplicate go away. The problem hasn't been resolved yet.

In addition to what @jacobs suggested, please check to see if your printer driver software is up to date. Sometimes the driver version that comes with the operating system is not the latest version.

And you may need to create a Preset for checks, to ensure paper size = letter size, one-sided, quality mode, 100% magnification/reduction. None of the automatic paper recognition, photo print or other fancy settings.

• Del Ray
    Del Ray Member
    Options

UKR,

Thank you. You're a genius! It worked!

Del Ray

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Del Ray said:

You're a genius! It worked!

No, I'm not. I'm a blind squirrel that occasionally finds a nut.

Please enlighten us. What, exactly, did you have to do to make it work?

This discussion has been closed.