Split Transactions...Unsplitting?

CBelow
CBelow Member

Quicken has gone back over transactions over roughly the past year and "unsplit" them all. Best I can tell, they are now all categorized as 100% from one of the categories in the original split, I think the last one, but I can't be sure.

This is incredibly frustrating. For example, in my paychecks I get a reimbursement for my home internet access. So, I split those deposits between my wages and home internet. Now those transactions for the past year just say one of the those categories. And, all of my mortgage payments that get split between paying my mortgage, my escrow account, etc. are just in one category.

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about this other than spend 10+ hours manually fixing everything for the past year.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Which version of Quicken are you running? You can get this information from Help > About Quicken.

Do you have a backup file from just before this issue occurred? You could try restoring that file to see if this issue does not exist in that. Just make sure whey you restore it you give the restored file a new name so it does not overwrite your current data file. The restoration process will give you the opportunity to give it a new, unique name.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• My version is R15.12, on Windows.

I thought about restoring, but I also didn't notice it for a month or so and I've since categorized a ton of new transactions, so I would have to go back and redo those. Seems like there isn't a solution that doesn't involve me spending several hours cleaning stuff up. But, to be honest, if it happens again, I'll might look for a different accounting software package. So, even though I'm going to have to spend the time cleaning up the issue, I'd rather have reassurance that it won't happen again before I do it.

I'm seeing from the community discussions, that this (or a version of this) is a somewhat common problem, though.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that most of the issues like this that come up tend to occur when there has been a version update, especially when Quicken automatically does the update. I usually do not let Quicken automatically update the version and will only do a manual update (manually download and install the Manual Patch Update file from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product ) after it seems that it is relatively stable. Doing the manual update, IMO, is a more reliable method of updating Quicken with fewer issues encountered.

When my installation has been updated, I always review each register (for transactions issues like the one you encountered), account balances, Investment Accounts (to make sure my selection of Simple vs Complete) has not been changed and global Preferences to make sure they are still the same. I will continue to do these things for at least a few days after the version update has been completed.

These issues don't happen often but if/when they do they can be "painful" to resolve and get fixed.

Other things I do to help reduce the "pain" when issues do occur:

• Set my Preference for Backups to Automatically backup after every session and to save enough backups so that I always have about a month of them.
    • In each Spending Account: Enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field. Sometimes, when changing the connection method, doing Account Reset or deactivate/reactivate, the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount gets changed. With the correct dollar amount entered into the Memo field it makes it easy to determine when this has happened and what the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount should be corrected to.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a relatively new option in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry and Quickfill:

However it's set on your system, this may be why older transactions changed category. I'm not sure about it and I can't find this setting documented anywhere.

Also turn off this setting:

Hover the mouse over the blue "i" button for an explanation of this option

• Hmm, seems a little unlikely that would have made a difference for several different kinds of transactions (and only back to a certain period of time), but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the idea!

I'll seen need to manually re-categorize a ton of transactions, though.

• I guess on the software updates, I'm a little too trusting/lazy and didn't notice when the problem happened because I was merrily entering/updating new transactions and not looking backwards. That is good advice to always inspect past transactions after any update. Thanks!

• This happened to me too. It appears to have happened with the installation of version 7.2.2 for Mac. I run an Intel MacBook Pro Mid 2014 w/dual core i, 16GB RAM, on MacOS 11.7.8.

The issue appears no matter how far back I go opening up (locked)backups. I suspect the damage happens every time the new version of Q opens and updates the data file. I'm really stuck now, because repairing the damage is so time consuming, I'm considering abandoning Q if this can't get resolved. I can't just keep spending so many hours fixing work I did already.

Is there any way to get a previous version?

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND
    2) do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken.
    Could your problem be caused by Sync?

If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

• Great idea. I'm a "yes/no" so I'll turn off the syncing and then go back and manually clean everything up. Hopefully, they won't replicate, but I suppose time will tell. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.