Checking Account Reconciliation Issue

gmdld2124
gmdld2124 Quicken Windows Subscription Member

When I go to reconcile my checking account each month, the starting balance in Quicken is always off by the same amount each month (house payment).

My Bank statement says the starting balance is one number and quicken says another (which is always that same amount (house payment)).

All my transactions for my house are recorded in Quicken (not missing any entries).

When I begin to reconcile my account, I change the beginning balance that Quicken thinks I have to what my bank statement actually says the beginning balance was.

Once I enter the beginning balance and ending balance and the statement date, the reconciliation process marks all my transactions and I’m balanced, except that same amount.

I then let QUICKEN enter the adjusted amount, but then my balance in Quicken does not reflect my ACTUAL bank balance and is off by that same amount.

In short, I want to know if there is a way to force quicken to recognize the actual beginning balance or if I can overwrite what Quicken thinks it the beginning balance permanently, so I don’t have to always enter the adjust then delete it after I have reconciled by checking account.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If the beginning balance of the reconcile is changing from what they were, it is because the Reconciled transactions have changed.

The opening balance of the reconcile is the sum total of all of the R transactions in the register and is calculated at the time of reconciliation and not stored for future reference.

What could change that # is one of the following:

1. a blank or C was changed to a R
    2. an R was changed to a blank or C
    3. the amount of an R was changed
    4. a new transaction was marked R to begin with
    5. a R transaction was deleted

Is it possible that the most recent house payment transaction is already marked as reconciled, "R"?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.