2 backup folders?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

When I back up my data, I do it to a specific folder on my NAS drive.

I discovered today that I have another folder that SOME backups are going to: %USERPROFILE%\Quicken\BACKUP.

There are recent backup files there. Some of them appear to be auto-generated by software updates, but I'm not sure why the others are being put there?

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Check your Backup Preferences. You probably have Automatic Backups set up. The location you are seeing those backups in is the default for Automatic Backups. You can confirm this by clicking Open. If you want to change the location for these Automatic Backups click on Change.

And you are correct: Quicken does automatically backup the data file when Quicken updates the version. The version being updated from is added to the backup file name like what is shaded in yellow in the following picture. This makes it easier to know which backup file should be opened if/when a new version update messes up the data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Check your Backup Preferences. You probably have Automatic Backups set up. The location you are seeing those backups in is the default for Automatic Backups. You can confirm this by clicking Open. If you want to change the location for these Automatic Backups click on Change.

And you are correct: Quicken does automatically backup the data file when Quicken updates the version. The version being updated from is added to the backup file name like what is shaded in yellow in the following picture. This makes it easier to know which backup file should be opened if/when a new version update messes up the data file.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Minor clarification: When Quicken offers to upgrade your version, it makes that automatic backup with the file name of the currently installed version. If your Windows UAC setting prompts you for approval of the upgrade and you decline, the automated backup is still created.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited August 2023
    Options

If your Windows UAC setting prompts you for approval of the upgrade and you decline, the automated backup is still created.

I think that is because the backup file is created prior to the actual start of the version update. So, that backup file is created even though the version update was declined.

And, yes, that bugs the heck out of me because it makes my backup files folder more cluttered. The backup file should not be created when the version update has been declined.

This discussion has been closed.