Can I do this with my bank?

Options
Mightyt
Mightyt Member

I’ve had Quicken for 20 years, but never hooked up with my bank. I only used it like a check register to track my expenses.

I just became a subscriber and still use my account the way I have been. I am considering trying to connect to my banks and download actual data. I don’t want to mess up what I currently have and basically want to try it first. So, can I keep my non bank connected account and create a new one and download my bank info to it only? Thus have two accounts, one connected, one not connected?

Thank you!!

Best Answer

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"So, can I keep my non bank connected account and create a new one and download my bank info to it only? "

Can you do that? Sure, but in the connected Account you'll probably get a lot of transactions that are already in the non-downloading Account, so you'll have to delete those, and then you'll have to correct the "Opening Balance" in the Account to get the current balance correct.

What you might try first is to make a backup and then attempt to connect the current Account. Make sure that "Automatic entry" of downloaded transactions is OFF. That way all the downloaded transactions will show up below the Register in the Downloaded Transactions window where you can more easily manage them. If after working through that initial download of transactions everything looks good you now have one Account with all that bank's transactions. However if things go sideways for some reason, you can always restore your backup.

As a general caution and before you do anything, I'd advise going into Preferences, then Mobile & Web, and making sure that Sync is OFF.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"So, can I keep my non bank connected account and create a new one and download my bank info to it only? "

Can you do that? Sure, but in the connected Account you'll probably get a lot of transactions that are already in the non-downloading Account, so you'll have to delete those, and then you'll have to correct the "Opening Balance" in the Account to get the current balance correct.

What you might try first is to make a backup and then attempt to connect the current Account. Make sure that "Automatic entry" of downloaded transactions is OFF. That way all the downloaded transactions will show up below the Register in the Downloaded Transactions window where you can more easily manage them. If after working through that initial download of transactions everything looks good you now have one Account with all that bank's transactions. However if things go sideways for some reason, you can always restore your backup.

As a general caution and before you do anything, I'd advise going into Preferences, then Mobile & Web, and making sure that Sync is OFF.

• Mightyt
    Mightyt Member
    Options

Thank you again sir! I may just try that. I’m really just wanting to check it out before commuting. I’m still learning and a little insecure about messing up what I have. BTW, really love those planning budget charts! Still need to tweak a bit, but great for instant look at where you are for the month. 😊👍🏻

This discussion has been closed.