T-Bill Conundrum

Options
Woody800
Woody800 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have purchased a T-Bill at a discount, example of $39,5000.00 at a fixed invested amount of $40,000.00 to be automatic renewed at maturity. The proceeds of $39,500.00 is withdrawn from my saving account. At maturity the $39,500.00 is not returned to my saving account only the Interest Income is deposited to it. Now the conundrum, what do I do account for the $39,500.00? I can't show it returning to my savings account as my my statement will not include this transaction. Any thoughts on how to get this off my books? Don't forget the renewal T-Bill will have a new CUSIP and new transaction. I can enter a transaction for the Interest Income but not the principal/invested proceeds ($39,500.00).

I could not find the appropriate category.

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

First you set up an "investment" account and transfer $39,500 to it.

Then purchase the T-Bill for 39,500.

At maturity you sell it for $39,500 and record the $500 interest in the investment account. Transfer the interest to your savings account.

Then you buy a new T-Bill (new security in Quicken) for 39,500 in the investment account.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd say @bmciance 's answer is exactly correct. In case you didn't understand it, you're going to receive $40,000 from the Treasury. You record $39,500 as proceeds of the "sale" (maturity) at no gain or loss, and the extra $500 you record as interest income.

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

First you set up an "investment" account and transfer $39,500 to it.

Then purchase the T-Bill for 39,500.

At maturity you sell it for $39,500 and record the $500 interest in the investment account. Transfer the interest to your savings account.

Then you buy a new T-Bill (new security in Quicken) for 39,500 in the investment account.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I'd say @bmciance 's answer is exactly correct. In case you didn't understand it, you're going to receive $40,000 from the Treasury. You record $39,500 as proceeds of the "sale" (maturity) at no gain or loss, and the extra $500 you record as interest income.

• Woody800
    Woody800 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the solution.

• Woody800
    Woody800 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your comments.

Woody

This discussion has been closed.