Customized default register layout

Options
Jan Pendleton
Jan Pendleton Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Display/UI

For each new account, the first thing I do is switch to two-line register display, and then I eliminate the same few columns. (What the heck is Amount, anyway? Seems to be redundant.) I'd love to be able to save the customized layout and have it automatically applied to future new accounts.

1 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Workaround:
    You can apply the layout in use by one account register, e.g., a 2-line Checking account register, to all other account registers of the same type.

After changing the new account register to 2-line mode, select the Register Columns icon in a different formatted-as-you-like-it register of the same account type. At the bottom of the popup view select the gear icon, then select "Make all [1- or 2-line][account type] registers like this".

BTW, the Amount column is used by some customers who don't like the traditional paper checkbook register view.
    Depending on your preference, choose either Amount only or both Charge and Payment, the traditional checkbook columns.

• MissMew
    MissMew Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there any way to do the same thing to the investments register?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, sorry. That's a different kind of animal (investment transactions are much more complex than banking transactions).
    The only customization you can do can be found in Edit / Preferences / Investments.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think it is complexity is the reason this isn't available in the investment accounts.

The history is that before there was only one setting for all investment accounts. And people were always asking to make the column settings independent. Not too long ago they changed it so that width of the columns was set independently. And then even more recently, they put a "general setting" for turning off/on some columns.

To me this is instead being proactive and realizing that what the customers really wanted is the same functionality (up to what you can do, clearly the columns are different) as in the non-investment accounts. But what happens is that an Idea/feature gets approved which states something like "Allow resizing of investment account columns independently for all the accounts." And that is exactly what they implement.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/