How to re-install QWin 2015/2017 - on Mac with Parallels (edit)

Options
Pilot135pd
Pilot135pd Member ✭✭

My current 2015 Macbook Pro on Monterey 12.6.8 with Parallels 17.1.6 and Windows 10 is giving me signs of keeling over at any moment. I just bought a Macbook Air M1 on Ventura 13.4 and with migration assistant I brought Parallels 17 then installed a clean Windows 11 VM. I retired from the Air Force (38+ years serving) over a year ago and don't use the computer for more than a handful of things like emails, look up how to do something on YouTube, pay my bills, and watch movies when on the road.

The only 3 Windows programs I use are :

1. Logbook Pro - Aviation app where I installed a clean copy and it's working great in Parallels and they're never going to make a Mac version.

2. Outlook 2013 - I've given up on trying to install Outlook 2013 and even though I like it a lot less than the Windows version, I've decided to just use Outlook for Mac Version 16.74 and the online Outlook because life is too short and it syncs flawlessly with my iPhone Calendar. I use that calendar for everything (appointments, notes, things to do, reminders, etc).

AND FINALLY MY BIG HEADACHE:

3. QUICKEN 2015 - I use it to pay all my bills every month and has records there since at least 2005. I have a 2015 program and a 2017 program and both of their patches.

I started for many hours last night reading here and today I've been ALL DAY (since 8:30am to now) reading and trying to install 2015 in my M1 to no avail. I've done every step and when it comes time to restore the 2015 backup file to the 2017 program it goes blank like others have said here.

So I tried to upgrade my 2015 Mackbook Pro Windows 10 Quicken 2015 to Windows 11 but the machine says nope, it's too old. I then tried to stay on Windows 10 but upgrade Qucken 2015 to Quicken 2017 so I could try that config file for my M1 laptop but after installing the 2017 program, patch, config file, it started to convert the 2015 data to 2017 and then told me it can't do it and I should call quicken. So I ended up doing a CCC restore of my Quicken 2015 program and data on the Intel laptop.

So I'm up for any advice but please be specific because I've read where others have done it but I thinks my issue might be trying to go from Intel Windows 10 to M Windows 11 or if not then my problem must be one little thing that I'm missing and doing wrong or not even doing.

PLEASE HELP !! Thank you.

Best Answer

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Since my last visit here over a week ago, I've been

• installing, editing, running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • trying a different method of installing, editing the config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • installing it all again using the old config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then
    • installing again using the modified config, then running the cleaners when it didn't work then…..

you get the idea, I tried everything a few times for various days, it still didn't work.

So I tried the free "EaseUS Todo PCTrans" app https://www.easeus.com/support-center/product/info/7.html. BUT the free version didn't work so I was now down to

1- paying Quicken for a subscription or

2-paying EaseUS for their app, which has a money back guarantee so not much to lose but time

I paid for the app and it still didn't work so I pretty much told them they were a scam during the last of the 3 or 4 support chats trying to get it to work. They then told me to contact them in a couple of days because it was the weekend over there (now I confirmed it's in China not US as they try to make it look). I contacted them at 10:30pm Sunday which would make it morning over there and the chat guy told me to try in 30 minutes. So I waited an hour and contacted them for what I was thinking was the last time and I would just succumb to paying the Quicken subscription. Well after an hour of one tech support guy in my old laptop, he added another tech and then around 1:30am added a 3rd tech and I could see them copy and pasting away on my old and my new laptops when finally around 2:40am they were finally able to transfer it all to my new laptop AND MY QUICKEN 2015 Vers 17.4 IS WORKING on my new MacBook Air M1 !!

So now I figure the only other Windows program I wasn't using from my old laptop is Outlook 2013 so that's going to be my next test with them. If they transfer it, fine, and if they can't I'm already getting used to the Office for Mac I had purchased a couple years ago and have been using for a month now.

Thank you to all who helped me here trying to get it installed. For whatever reason the process here works on some laptops and doesn't on others.

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Pilot135pd thank you for your service.

Please have a look at this comment (you’ll need to click on the blue date to get to the comment):

Please post back if that solution doesn’t work for you.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you.

See? I never saw anything about deleting those lines inside of quicken.ini or most likely I saw it but I was so tired from so many hours trying that I must have just simply missed it. 😴

I'll try it as soon as I get back home. Thanks again and I'll report back with the results.

• mshiggins
    Options

Being a QW2017 user myself, I have been keeping a close eye on all the QW2017 install issues.

Good luck!

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I was pumped up about this and had everything ready:

Quicken For Win 2015.exe (installation file)

QW2015R17.4MPatch.EXE (update patch to version 17.4 like my old laptop has)

ProgramData/Intuit/Quicken/Config (file from old laptop with a modified Quicken.ini with the registration info deleted)

QDATA1.QDF (data file and also a backup data file QDATA1-2023-08-26.PM01.15.QDF-backup)

but as soon as I tried to install 2015 I got to the 3rd screen and the NEXT button is greyed out. I tried entering my information and a made up registration number and I guess I don't have the correct letter/number sequence because it won't give let me click on NEXT.

We delete the registration part in the old Quicken.ini so it shouldn't even matter what I write as long as I have a correct sequence of letters and numbers, but if I can't install it I can't run the patch or modify the config file.

Unless someone knows a way to bypass this screen, does anyone have a registration I can try? You can change some numbers for other numbers and letters for other letters, I'm just hoping that if I enter the right sequence it might give me a chance to move on and keep installing it.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The procedure I posted will not fix your problem because your install is in fact not the Quicken install. It is an installer for the installer.

In other words, Intuit sent out CDs that all they did is take people through a "registration process" to get the actual install for Quicken. This whole system is gone now, servers and such.

The real installer doesn't look anything like what is shown in your screenshot.

Your first dialog:

The real installer:

Next dialogs:

Launching Quicken after hitting the Done button.

Notice the complete lack of requesting registration information? That is because that isn't how the actual registration (the one in the Quicken.ini) was ever managed. Before/and during the install they just managed it by restricting who got access to the install media. Starting with Quicken 2014, they then added the Intuit ID, which then in turn changed over to the Quicken Id. As you can see when I clicked on the I'm New button.

And if you are thinking that maybe that this is just a newer release of the install, this is the R1 version of Quicken 2015.

Another thing that stands out is the fact that my install says Deluxe and yours says nothing about what edition it is. Before Quicken Subscription they hard coded which edition it was into the install.

Canceling out of this (killing Quicken) and applying the latest Quicken 2015 patch (to change to the Quicken Id):

Running Quicken again:

This is the problem that was addressed with the Quicken.ini file changes. As in, this should be the login for the Quicken Id, but it comes up blank because Quicken Inc has changed the "license server" in a way that the old versions of Quicken (2014 thru 2017) can no longer login.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note on this comment:

I then tried to stay on Windows 10 but upgrade Qucken 2015 to Quicken 2017 so I could try that config file for my M1 laptop but after installing the 2017 program, patch, config file, it started to convert the 2015 data to 2017 and then told me it can't do it and I should call quicken. 

No where did you show the Quicken 2017 install, and "can't do it" isn't enough information to go on.

Signature:
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for all of that info. Since now I know that I don't have the actual 2015 program to install and the program I have for 2017 does exactly install like your screenshots show, if I install 2017 and then its patch, will the config file from the Quicken 2015 on my old laptop on Win10 work on the 2107 install (since we modify the quicken.ini and eliminate all the registration lines as per your info, including the version line : - RegisteredVersion=2500) or will I have to update the old laptop to 2017 first just go get that version's config file?

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Also the Quicken I have on the old laptop is 2015 Home and Business version 17.4, in case that info helps.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think it really matters what Quicken.ini file you start with given that procedure. As such, I would just do the procedure on the Quicken.ini file that Quicken 2017 installed.

Signature:
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Good morning. I did everything step by step. I installed 2017 and without opening it I ran the patch to version 20.5. I opened the Quicken.ini file and deleted the 2 lines then added the other 5 lines then saved the file. I doubleclicked on my .QDF file and it opened 2017 and I could see all of my accounts on the right side but it wouldn't show any transactions in the middle of the page. I clicked on one of the accounts and a page to create a "Quicken ID" popped up. The only thing you can click on there is "GET STARTED" so I did and I got the dreaded white page. I know the patch took because even with the white page I checked the version and I was at 20.5. I also went back and checked the Quicken.ini again to be sure and it's showing the changes I made plus on the CONFIG file it added 2 files:

DPIINFO ( monitor dimensions)

qwimp (impressions)

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I took a screenshot of when it opens with my info on the right side but no transactions in the middle (I added the red space blocking $$ amounts). Once I click on one of my accounts, the page goes all white.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Regarding where I said 2017 couldn't convert and open my 2015 data file, here are the screenshots, sorry I didn't include them earlier.

• mshiggins
    Options

One thing I do with my QW2017 is to put the laptop in airplane mode before starting Quicken. I’ve been doing this since April 2020 when the online access portion of the program sunsetted. What happens if you use airplane mode or disable your network adapter before starting Quicken?

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

How do you put a laptop in airplane mode? Do you mean turning off the wifi?

• mshiggins
    Options

I just click the Wi-Fi icon in the task bar and select airplane mode from the options that pop up.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I've never seen airplane mode on a laptop, only on my phone or ipad. Might be a PC thing? These are the only options I have on my Macbook Air

• mshiggins
    Options

Google result says no airplane mode in Mac laptops, just turn off the Wi-Fi.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I turned wifi OFF during the installation and during this entire ordeal and only turned it back on to come back to the forum here. Then I did the entire installation with wifi ON and still no difference.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The only thing I can add is to ask if you did the QCleanUI procedure?

If not, try doing that and then repeating the procedure, as stated on the web page.

If you did try that then well, it looks like you are out luck. I have had reports that this hack doesn't work for some people.

Signature:
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I downloaded both programs. I ran QCleanUI and deleted everything in the AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local folders. I also ran MSIClean32 at the end but don't know if it did anything because I didn't find anywhere that explains what it's for or when to run it.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I guess my last hope is to find someone with a Quicken 2015 installation program since that's the version currently running on my old laptop, and hope that one works doing the config file hack using the config file from my old 2015 .

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

QCleanUI removes old Quicken settings from the Windows registry. But in truth for most of the problems that this procedure was setup to fix, it is the removing of the old configuration files that usually fixed things, since Quicken really uses very little Windows' registry settings, and stores most of the configuration in config files.

Signature:
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

I understand what QCleanUI does, I said I didn't know what MSIClean32 did.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh. QCleanUI provides "what keys I want removed" and MSIClean32 does the actual removing. QCleanUI comes from Quicken Inc/Intuit (or did before the integrated it into Quicken Subscription's installer) and MSIClean32 comes from Microsoft.

Signature:
  • Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Is there anywhere that explains how to use them? I ran QCleanUI then just deleted the files manually. When I ran MSIClean32 it didn't find anything.

• Pilot135pd
    Pilot135pd Member ✭✭
    Options

Disregard. Since I had done it manually before running them it never found anything. I just ran QCleanUI without unistalling anything and it found the files I would normally remove manually and I saw how it uses MSIClean32.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Sorry about that.

You reminded me that I shouldn't have basically copied the instructions that Intuit/Quicken Inc had on that page. They would tell you to uninstall Quicken first and then do this procedure. That is totally wrong. The Quicken uninstall (even the one in from Quicken 2017 and below) will remove the very key that is used to tell if a version of Quicken is install, and as such do nothing!

I have added this to my web page on QCleanUI:

If at all possible, do this before you do the regular Quicken uninstall.  The Quicken uninstall will remove the starting key that QCleanUI tells MSIClean32 to start with, and as such might do nothing.

For years we told them they needed to change the instructions, and they never did, and here I went and forgot to put in that very "vital" information. I put vital in quotes because like I said most of the time if the procedure fixed the problem, it was because old, corrupted config files were removed at the same time.

Signature:
  • mshiggins
    Options

We’re not giving up, are we?

• mshiggins
    Options

I thought we had only pursued the path of direct editing the ini file, but had not yet tried copying the config folder and contents fro the working install to the new install.

This discussion has been closed.