Tags Auto Erase

Options
MD95062
MD95062 Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in Reports (Windows)

I have a set of customized and saved reports that I use to review and balance categories as a part of my tax prep process. This year as I work on my 2022 taxes, I checked last year (2021) saved reports.

I noticed the numbers for some of the 2021 tax prep reports changed. They were on my 2021 paper copy but not showing on my 2021 reprinted copy that I ran. After looking at the expense details, I saw that some Tags were deleted. Hence the reason for the number of the original report and the subsequent report being different. I am pretty sure this is not operator error. Once I complete a tax report, I reconcile the expenses and no changes are made.

Is this a known issue and what is the fix. I can't have my tax prep reports changing once I send them to the CPA. The reports have to be replicated perfectly regardless of software updates.

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reports that you run today will use your current Quicken data, not the data as of the time the report was saved.

If you go to Tools > Tag list, are the Tags no longer in your file? Or are the Tags still there but not assigned to transactions that used them in the past?

Because Quicken lets you change historical data and has been known to change it on its own, you should keep a paper or PDF copy of historical reports.

QWin Premier subscription
  • MD95062
    MD95062 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your answer, but I must not have been clear. I did not change the data. The tags are "self erasing". They were filled in when I created the orignal report. I did not go back and change the data in the account because it is for a previous tax year and I use a technique to annotate that the data is analyzed, competed and reconciled. When I went to spot check the 2021 reports that were finalized in Sept 0f 2022, (I did the spot check today), Tags were missing. I compared my saved paper version of 2021 to my reprinted version of 2021 that I did today and I could see where the aggregate numbers and corresponding details changed.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

I understand that your data and thus your report has changed. I am trying to understand what happened. That is why I asked a follow-up question.

Are the tags missing completely from your data file, so they no longer appear in the Tag list and no transactions can use them, or are they still available but no longer applied to some of your transactions?

• Jim_Harman
    edited August 2023
    Options

Also just to be clear there was an issue last year where a Quicken software update caused some users to lose the Tags on all their transactions, and apparently some tags were deleted from their Tag list.

This was related to syncing to the Quicken mobile app. Quicken's fix stopped the tag deletion going forward but did not repair the damage.

You do not have that problem, right?

This discussion has been closed.