downloading payees and autocategorizing

Options
sidneybinks
sidneybinks Member ✭✭

When i download payees that are similar like "Uber Trip….[date]…"

Sometimes I have 15 of these or more with different dates that I need to accept.

1st I want them to all, no matter the date, be changed to simply, "Uber Trip".

2nd, I want them automatically categorized to the same category I have created, in this case, "Medical Doctor Transportation"

The basic renaming rules are not helpful. If they are, i must be stupid, because i have spent hours trying to figure this out over the years.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions and make sure "Use my existing renaming rules" is checked.
    2. Click on Renaming rules. There should be a rule titled Uber Trip. If you click on the little triangle next to it, it should say "If Payee contains Uber Trip". If not, create or edit it.
    3. If there are multiple rules for Uber, Quicken will use the first one, so generally you only want one.
    4. Go to Tool > Memorized Payee List and look for Uber Trip. If there is one, edit it so the Category is the one you want. If not, create a memorized payee with the for Uber Trip with the correct Category. Again, you probably only want one memorized payee for Uber Trip. Set the amount for the memorized payee to zero and check the Lock box. This will prevent it from changing the Category and amount each time you use the Payee.

If you still have problems, please post back with a detailed example, starting with what the downloaded payee name was. To see the downloaded payee name, hover over the name in the Downloaded Transactions area or enable the Downloaded Payee column in your register.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When creating a Renaming Rule, it starts with "If Quicken name is" and can't be changed at that point in time. Save the rule and then edit it changing it to "If payee contains" as shown in this image.

I have multiple rules that remove the store # from the payee changing things like "Kroger #1234" to just "Kroger".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions and make sure "Use my existing renaming rules" is checked.
    2. Click on Renaming rules. There should be a rule titled Uber Trip. If you click on the little triangle next to it, it should say "If Payee contains Uber Trip". If not, create or edit it.
    3. If there are multiple rules for Uber, Quicken will use the first one, so generally you only want one.
    4. Go to Tool > Memorized Payee List and look for Uber Trip. If there is one, edit it so the Category is the one you want. If not, create a memorized payee with the for Uber Trip with the correct Category. Again, you probably only want one memorized payee for Uber Trip. Set the amount for the memorized payee to zero and check the Lock box. This will prevent it from changing the Category and amount each time you use the Payee.

If you still have problems, please post back with a detailed example, starting with what the downloaded payee name was. To see the downloaded payee name, hover over the name in the Downloaded Transactions area or enable the Downloaded Payee column in your register.

QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When creating a Renaming Rule, it starts with "If Quicken name is" and can't be changed at that point in time. Save the rule and then edit it changing it to "If payee contains" as shown in this image.

I have multiple rules that remove the store # from the payee changing things like "Kroger #1234" to just "Kroger".

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• sidneybinks
    sidneybinks Member ✭✭
    Options

I greatly appreciate both of these answers….VERY helpful…

The longer answer is a nice step by step, but the splasher added the critical step that was not at all apparent as far as I'm concerned…. Q needs to rework this step.

This discussion has been closed.