How to keep transaction Payee the same in all splits

Options

I have found that when I change the Payee name for a transaction with a split, the payee name in the other accounts does not update.
Which is a real PITA!
IF I have an adjustment transaction that has a name of "2020 Year End Adjustments"
And it was supposed to be "2021", if I edit the name in the adjustment register, it is not updated in any other register.
And with 12 to 16 split lines, it is an overwhelming nightmare.
This is really absurd.
It is also a real issue when dealing with distributions from businesses, if a deposit to a bank account had the wrong business in the payee, but used the correct account, you now have a transaction that says Deposit from Y, in an account for Business Z.
The ONLY way to correct this is to find the backup because you can't know if the name is wrong or the account is wrong.
Not to mention, that if you change it in one register, it is not updated in the other - so I have been chasing my tail and I am exceedingly frustrated. It has wasted at least three hours of my life tonight.

This is not the way it used to behave.

Is there a setting I can use to make sure things stay as expected?

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I agree, it would be nice if Quicken did make the edited changes across the split, but try this work-around.

Copy the original split transaction (right-click & Copy transaction(s) ), then paste (right-click on blank line & Paste) it back in the original account, change the Payee before saving the pasted transaction. Delete the original transaction with the incorrect Payee.

WARNING: MAKE A BACKUP FIRST

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

The “split” aspect of this complaint (as I understand it) is a red herring. The real issue is the transfer aspect.

Whenever a new transaction is a transfer between accounts, the date, description/payee/payer, amount, and memo field are all copied when making the corresponding transaction in the other account. after that initial entry, changes to the amount and date are changed in the other account. Changes to the description/payee/payer are not updated in the other account.

This behavior has existed since virtually day-one. While some users have complained about it, others prefer it.

• EveningStar824
    Options

I have been using Quicken since it started in the 1990s? (MacMoney before that on the Macintosh) - and I don't recall this issue to be as bad as it is with recent updates.

Splasher - good suggestion - a PITA - but a good workaround.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.