T-bill purchase creates a day gain in the Investing screen.

Options
mtbdog
mtbdog Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I purchased a T-bill yesterday, 9-7. Didn't record it because I prefer to download the bond information from Vanguard. This morning the purchase dated yesterday was downloaded from Vanguard. Now there is a day gain of the purchase amount in the Investing screen.

I deleted the downloaded transaction and re-entered it. I didn't delete the downloaded T-bill information, though. I used it in the re-entered transaction. (Hope that makes sense.) The day gain remains.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Best Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Enter a price for the day before you purchased it. Quicken takes the difference in price times the number of shares to get the day gain/loss. It's not really the best way to get the day gain/loss but that's what they do. Entering the price for the day before makes it work.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is a known issue. When you purchase a bond like this that has no ticker symbol Quicken can't download the security's historic prices, (the previous 5 years I think) so simple math (value of bond today - 0) creates that day gain. You can edit the security's price history to create a "yesterday" price that's the same as your purchase price I'd guess to make that day gain $0.

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Enter a price for the day before you purchased it. Quicken takes the difference in price times the number of shares to get the day gain/loss. It's not really the best way to get the day gain/loss but that's what they do. Entering the price for the day before makes it work.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

This is a known issue. When you purchase a bond like this that has no ticker symbol Quicken can't download the security's historic prices, (the previous 5 years I think) so simple math (value of bond today - 0) creates that day gain. You can edit the security's price history to create a "yesterday" price that's the same as your purchase price I'd guess to make that day gain $0.

• mtbdog
    mtbdog Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks Tom & bmclance. I've done that before! 😵 Appreciate the reminder. 😆

This discussion has been closed.