Problems Linking One of Several Quicken TD Ameritrade Account to Schwab After Merger.

Options
Mark5712
Mark5712 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I have three accounts (Brokerage, Trad 401k, Roth 401k) that have recently been moved from TD Ameritrade to Schwab. I was tracking the TDA accounts in Quicken and want to keep tracking them after the move to Schwab. So I decided to use option 1 from the link below (keep the Quicken accounts but link to Schwab for online downloads).

Two of the accounts I was able to link and all appears well. Then when trying to link the Quicken Roth account to the Schwab Roth online account, the Quicken Roth account does NOT appear in the drop down list. Almost every other account does. The quicken account is the Roth 401k type and yes I have deactivated online access for the Roth just as I did for the Traditional 401k and Brokerage account. Tried this several times restarting quicken several times but no dice.

Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried this again and just to clarify, the Roth account does show up on on the list of online accounts. But when I click on "Link to existing …" the Quicken Roth account does not show up on the drop down list. When I edit the Quicken account from the Tools→Account List menu, I've already erased the Financial Institution and Account Number boxes. Double checked Online Services are deactivated.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Between the "action" drop-down -Add, Link, Ignore - there's a column called something like "Nickname in Quicken." What's shown there?

Have had a couple of instances where the Quicken Account I wanted to link was included in the drop-down list, but DID appear in that "Nickname" column.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young Thanks! for responding.

That's also strange, the "Nickname in Quicken" that is displayed is "CC-2177 (Target #1)", which is an old credit card account closed out a while ago and hidden. Not sure what it's matching on to fill that field, maybe there is some overlap between the old credit card account number and the new Schwab Roth 401k account number. The first time I tried this I ended up linking the new Schwab account that the old quicken credit card account. Started over from backup.

Thinking the path of least resistance is to create a new quicken account for the Roth, then transfer all the transactions from the TDA quicken account to the new Schwab quicken account. Or the transaction transfer may not be necessary, maybe all past transaction will be downloaded to the new account.

• Tom Young
    Options

"That's also strange, the "Nickname in Quicken" that is displayed is 'CC-2177 (Target #1)"

I had a similar experience at the changeover, where there was a seldom-used but live Macy's credit card in that column. I guess that the correct Quicken Account was available to me since both my TD Ameritrade accounts were successfully switched.

"Or the transaction transfer may not be necessary, maybe all past transaction will be downloaded to the new account."

That doesn't seem to be the case. There's posts in here about bases information for securities not being ported into a newly created Schwab Accounts and that couldn't be the case if historical transactions were being imported.

I have seen some other posts along the same lines as yours, but if this was a consistent Intuit (aggregator)/Quicken issue this place would be overrun with similar posts, so my guess is that it has something to do with the "Roth" aspect or some "local to you" issue. It probably wouldn't hurt to do a Validate & Repair to see if that helps. But ultimately you may need to get on the phone with Official Quicken Support.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young Thanks again for the follow up.

Another oddity, this afternoon we successfully linked my wife's traditional 401k and Roth 401k Quicken accounts to the online Schwab accounts. All these accounts are in the same .QDF file. The oddity is that when I pulled the drop down for her accounts, the Roth account that was missing earlier (my Roth) DID show up in the drop down lists. So I tried again with my Roth and sure enough it's still missing from the drop down list.

So I think it has nothing to do with the "Roth" aspect, your assessment that it's something "local to me" rings true, and it's most probably local to my .QDF file. I'll give the Validate & Repair a try and report back.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

The Validate & Repair didn't help. Think I'll let this sit for awhile and think about my next course of action.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

Tried a few more things but now I'm completely stuck:

I tried creating a new account and linking to the Schwab online Roth account. That went ok, it downloaded 6 transactions. Then I tried to link the old Roth Quicken account to the online Schwab account. Can't do that though because it's already linked to my Schwab account. So I deleted the new Quicken Roth account. Now when I try to link again, the Roth account is not showing up AT ALL as an account available to link. Yep went to the security center on Scwab and the Roth account is checked as enabled for Third-Party Access. I went back to my backup that I created this morning before trying any of this. The Schwab account is still not listed when I try to link. I'm guessing some kind of security token is messed up either on Schwab, Quicken, or both. Any ideas about the next step would be helpful. Thanks!

• Tom Young
    Options

It may be time to get Official Quicken Support involved.

I have seen a few posts along the same lines of what you've described so perhaps Support has some experience with the problem.

I guess one more thing you might try, after making a backup: (I assume you want to simply attach the downloading to the old TD Ameritrade Accounts, all of which now show Schwab as the financial institution.)

Go to Tools > Account list and show hidden Accounts, then make sure that every single old Account, even Hidden, are disconnected. I might even go over to Schwab and uncheck all accounts from Third-party access. Then go over to Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts and select "Sign in as a different user", then sign back in again.

Next do Add Account, select Schwab and it should find all your accounts at Schwab. Select them all and go back to Quicken. The Add Account window should come up with all your accounts at Schwab and an Action menu that, hopefully, has all the Accounts available. Be sure to check the "Nickname in Schwab" to see if somehow Quicken "knows" the proper mapping.

If no joy, then certainly get in touch with Quicken Support. I've had good luck with them when I've been stumped, a couple of times.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Tom Young thanks again for the advice, I'll give it a try. One more data point I created a brand new quicken file name "Test" and then tried to add the Schwab accounts. After logging in and confirming third-party access sure enough all my Schwab accounts showed up, including the troublesome Roth. So the authorization does work but there is something jacked up in my QDF file. Not too surprising I guess as it goes all the way back to 1993. There are a couple of closed Schwab accounts in that are hidden maybe that's the problem.

I did try the "Sign in as a different user" business, that didn't work but I hadn't disabled online access for every single other account. I'll give that a go then reach out to the support team.

Thanks!

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

@Tom Young thanks that did the trick, though I found I needed a couple of extra steps to get it to work. I don't know if all of them are necessary but documenting here if anyone else finds it useful.

1. Not only disconnect all accounts, including hidden, but for all hidden accounts I manually cleared the Financial institution and Account Number boxes in the Account Details (General Tab). This changes the Transaction Download entry in the account list from "No (Activate downloads)" to "Not Available".
    2. Logged into Schwab and completly removed third-party access for all accounts. There is a single click option to turn it off for all accounts, that is the one I used.
    3. Changed the Name of the problem Roth account in Quicken to match the name reported in Schwab.
    4. Changed the Financial Institution box in the General Tab from [blank] to "Schwab". This was required, the account never showed up in the dropdown Link to Quicken Account, but was matched automagically as long as Schwab was entered into the Financial Institution box.
    5. Exited and restarted Quicken, with account sign-out between each step above. Probably not needed but who knows.

I think that Quicken went a bit overboard on the heuristics matching, but maybe it was something else. It's all working now.

Thanks for all the help, also when I downloaded some new transactions for the Schwab accounts in one-step update some T-bills maturing weren't handled properly. You had another comment on another thread that was helpful. Thanks for that too. I'd like to buy you lunch or a beer or both if we could figure out how…

Cheers,

Mark

This discussion has been closed.