Edward Jones Trad IRA stopped downloading transactions

Options

Edward Jones Trad IRA account, worked fine for over a year, but for several months has not downloaded a single transaction. No errors appear, however, it does not that share differences are not accounted for and wants to add placeholder entries.

Quicken Premier R52.20 Build :27.1.52.20 - Problem appears to have begun start of July '23.

Symptoms. Since 7/28/23 the quicken update appears to run without error, however, no transactions are downloaded. The only thing I can find, is that on reconcile it says there are missing shares and do I want to create placeholder entries. If I do create placeholder entries, the balance/total marke value then matches EJ online, however, Quicken still does not subsequently download any transactions.

I've tried: Changing EJ password and updating it on connection Quicken (not saving to vault), Deleting the PW vault, deleting the EJ account entirely in Quicken and starting over, deactivating and re-linking in Quicken, changing the connection type in Quicken, installing Quicken on a different computer and setting it up from scratch.

Nothing I've tried seems to be able to get Quicken to pull down the transactions as it had been doing fine since the start of 2022.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you looked in the OFXlog file (Help→Contact Support→log files) to see if there is anything being downloaded?

New stuff is at the bottom, so do an OSU of ONLY Edward Jones. Have Quicken save the logfile and view it with Notepad.

Go to the bottom, and search up for "Edward" to find the beginning of that last download. Are there any transactions in it. Search for a numeric value like the # of shares bought in a recent transaction according the the EJ website.

I personally have EJ accounts, regular, IRA and Roth and they have been downloading as expected, even today.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

splasher: When i select the Help>Contact support>log files option I get the support pop-up but it says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" and does not display anything. I don't see anything that would be blocking it, since access to all other Quicken functions and support sites appears to be fine.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not sure what you did different.

This is what I get when I go for the log files. The right side is what I get after clicking on "Log Files".

I then do a "save as" and edit it with Notepad.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

I have compared the EJ sections of a log from 7/1 when it was working to a 9/12 log (transactions not showing in Quicken). The received information appears to be the same from EJ, units/prices/value/etc. (The show/save logs function worked on a 2nd computer).

Any other things to check?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You could try a One Step Update "reset".

Go to the Account List (Tools menu). "edit" the account in question. Select the Online Services tab. click on "Reset Account".

If you have more than one account at Edward Jones, you may need to reset all of them.

As a next option to try, from that same window, "deactivate" / "re-activate" the account(s)

NOTE: MAKE A QUICKEN BACKUP FIRST

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

I did try the reset, and the deactivate/reactiate sequence. I even deleted it all and tried creating the account from scratch, but still no transactions are displayed. For the one I created from scratch, it did not display a single transaction.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

Update, I uninstalled Quicken, deleted all the temp and appdata associated files, re-installed with the latest download, then added ONLY the EJ account and OSU updated transactions. This time, it only downloaded transactions since 07/28/2023 and got the balance correct, however, It did not add any prior transactions, just added placeholder entries for all the prior missing transactions, over a years worth. So… I'm wondering if there was a change in the format of the files in July that caused the first failure to display new, and now a failure to download prior old ones…?

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

Also, even though the new file is getting only new transactions since 7/28, when I re-open the previous file and run update it still does not display the transactions after July at 7/28. There is some kind of split at that date with my EJ account and the old and new files linkages.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this to get some older data via Direct Connect download method:

Tools→Online Center, click on "Contact Info" with CTRL key depressed, select the correct financial institution & account.

Click on "reset DTSTART" to change the date.

Run One Step Update.

The theory behind the this is that Quicken remembers what the latest date of the downloaded transactions and only requests transactions after that date. This is NOT a guaranteed solution, but it MIGHT work and it is easy enough to try.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

Thank you for the reset DTSTART option, however, it did not seem to change anything in my existing EJ transactions listing in quicken, nor in the new one I'd created. I also noted parsing the logs there seems to have been a change in field formats from EJ on or around the 7/28 date. Why the existing quicken profile only lists information prior to that date, and the new one only after that date is a mystery, but not really useful. Please let me know if you have any other ideas to try.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Just to confirm, the download connection for EJ is Direct Connect? Look on the Account List (Tools menu).

My EJ downloads have not faltered for over a couple of years now using Direct Connect.

If not DC, when creating the account (or re-activating one), select "Advanced Options" when on this screen.

The next screen will give you the option for Express Web Connect or Direct Connect.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I tested this in a new file and EJ ONLY downloaded from 7/30/2023 which is common (60-90 days) for most financial institutions.

Quicken also starts new investment accounts in "Simple" versus "Complete" mode which you can change from the "General" tab of the edit account window.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

Thank you again. I have tried both connection modes, DTconnect being the usual one, and I always use Complete - positions and transactions. However, the problem remains. In the new EJ only file, it is only showing after 7/28, in the older EJ original file, I'm only seeing before 7/28. OSU log shows it seems to be pulling transaction records, costs and value, just not adding them to the displayed EJ account in the Quicken registers.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm out of suggestions except to contact Quicken support at https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

I hate to suggest it since nobody likes to call them to be on hold and asked to do again all of the things you have already done. At the first hint of just being told to repeat everything, ask to be escalated, hopefully you can get this resolved.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

Thank you Splasher, I appreciate you sticking with this and helpful suggestions. I'd figured it would end up with tech support, but had hoped there might be a quick solution out there before hand.

This discussion has been closed.