Added a CHASE credit card account, but it won't show up in Account List

Options
Lisa M
Lisa M Member ✭✭

Quicken R52.20, 27.1.52.20 on Windows 11.

I added a CHASE credit card and got confirmation that the account is linked (that Chase is sharing data with Quicken). However, account does not show up in Account List. Checked settings, checked hidden accounts, etc. When I tried to add it again, it showed the wrong nickname for the account, as if it got added to an existing account.

I shut down Quicken and reloaded … still don't see the new credit card account.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I tried to add it again, it showed the wrong nickname for the account, as if it got added to an existing account.

It is very possible that it did get linked to the wrong existing account. You should be able to confirm this by going to Account List and reviewing the accounts listed there to see if one of them shows the Financial Institution is Chase and not the one that it should be. (If the Financial Institution column is not visible in Account List, click on the Options button to the left below the list and check Show financial institution.)

If this is the case, perhaps the simplest way to resolve the issue is to restore a recent backup file (from not long before you tried to add the Chase credit card). Then try setting up the Chase credit card account, again. Be careful to review all of the information when Quicken prompts you to decide what to do with the downloaded data…make sure that it is Added as a new account and not Linked to another account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

When I tried to add it again, it showed the wrong nickname for the account, as if it got added to an existing account.

It is very possible that it did get linked to the wrong existing account. You should be able to confirm this by going to Account List and reviewing the accounts listed there to see if one of them shows the Financial Institution is Chase and not the one that it should be. (If the Financial Institution column is not visible in Account List, click on the Options button to the left below the list and check Show financial institution.)

If this is the case, perhaps the simplest way to resolve the issue is to restore a recent backup file (from not long before you tried to add the Chase credit card). Then try setting up the Chase credit card account, again. Be careful to review all of the information when Quicken prompts you to decide what to do with the downloaded data…make sure that it is Added as a new account and not Linked to another account.

• Lisa M
    Lisa M Member ✭✭
    Options

Looks like this is the case. I will restore a recent backup, or, could I reset the existing account? Such a pain! I've added accounts before with no issue. Don't know what the heck I did to cause this.

• Lisa M
    Lisa M Member ✭✭
    Options

Restored backup file and re-added the account, paying close attention to add it as a new account. This worked. Thanks so much.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'm glad to hear that it worked for you. The issue you encountered is a known bug in Quicken. If we carefully review everything in the Quicken prompt from the setup download we can usually prevent the account mismatch from happening but most of us sometimes just get used to the fact that usually Quicken gets it right so it's easy to simply blow right through it without scrutinizing it. And then once in a while we can get the issue you just experienced.

BTW, resetting the existing account would not have fixed this issue.

You could have instead tried to change the existing account by deactivating it and then reactivating it but when an account linkage gets messed up like that sometimes there will be other issues in the register that could also be messed up during the process, such as, the Opening Balance transactions dollar amount might have gotten changed, sometimes a 2nd newer date Opening Balance transaction gets entered and sometimes transactions from the new financial institution (i.e., Chase) get entered into the existing account. From personal experience I can assure you that might have ended up being a very time consuming and frustrating process. Restoring a recent backup file is, IMHO, much faster and less troublesome.

This discussion has been closed.