How to create a new, but continuation file

Options

Am told by Quicken that my file is too large and represents too many years. "You are likely to have problems." I have - lost 85% of Tags (after much effort and using backups got most back). It's not clear there is a path to create a new file starting Jan 1, 2023 containing beginning status as of Dec 31, 2022. The "Copy or Template" action is not documented and based on multiple agent conversations, not a clear solution. !) What is difference between Copy and Template? Template implies to me the absence of data. Investments' historical information remains with the "old" file. I find it odd that the product apparently does not scale, although an online reference mentioned that newer versions are based on SQL. Anyone have a suggested path to create a new, but continuing file? A meaningful description of the implications for checking/unchecking the boxes? Anyone know if newer versions are truly engineered on SQL? How do you do meaningful analysis using two separate files? Get out paper and pencil and add the two results together? Recent experience has broken my confidence in the Quicken product.

Tagged:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you looked at FILE, Copy or Backup, Create a Year end Archive?

That should meet your objective … but it's not recommended because "it's impossible to put Humpty together again".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Taters_64_u
    Options

Where are the Humpty Dumpty pieces? The 1994-2022 and 2023-infinity files?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

not sure what you consider a large Quicken QDF file -

our file has everything, ever since we started using Quicken
    You can see your stats by … —> Help —> Shift+About Quicken

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.