Amount switching to red

After I enter the amount in the Purchase column and hit Return, the amount switches to red with a minus sign. Entering TAB after entering the amount does the same thing. What's the correct thing to do after entering the purchase amount in order to keep the amount black and move automatically to the next line to enter a new transaction?

Thanks

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

What kind of account? A credit card? Which amount turns red? The purchase column or the Balance column? In my Quicken I hit Ctrl+enter to save & move to the next line.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    Answer ✓

What kind of account? A credit card? Which amount turns red? The purchase column or the Balance column? In my Quicken I hit Ctrl+enter to save & move to the next line.

• It's a credit card account and the column that turns red is the Amount column. I don't have a Balance column. Entering Ctrl+enter seems to be what it wants. The amount then stays black the the cursor moves to the next transaction line.

Thanks.

• volvogirl

You have to have a Balance column. Check the register settings and see if you can add it. If you are not showing a balance column then you might first need to select an individual account in the side bar.  

Yes the "Amount" column should turn red, you owe that amount. Actually don't show that Amount column. Uncheck it in the settings. Just have Charges and Payment and Balance.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@toonbon - Since you are a new Quicken user, if you are not sure how to find the register settings: Go to Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Register Columns > check the box for Balance > Done.

Also, I do agree that showing the Charges and Payment columns are better than showing the Amount column. But it is a personal preference.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.