Security Prices - Issue with yesterday's closing prices changing to today's price for all holdings

Options

Answers

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Please report ot Quicken. They have not responded to my report.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options
  • fv_qc
    fv_qc Member ✭✭
    Options

Good eye … sorry. The days were correct (Sun & Mon). The dates were off (should have been 10/15 and 10/16).

I submitted a report via Quicken Help—>Report a problem…

• rick_larson
    rick_larson Member ✭✭
    Options

I am also experiencing this issue with VTI and VB. I have my Quicken set to update throughout the day and everything works perfectly until after the market closes. I've started keeping notes of the daily prices so I can go back and correct the previous days prices as needed. On Monday of this week 10/16/23 after market close I corrected the prices on VTI and VB and I then sat there and watched the prices change right before my eyes within 10 minutes of correcting them.

I called support on Tuesday 10/17 and the person I talked to had no awareness of this issue. When they implemented the new OSU for Schwab a couple years ago it turned out that Quicken programming pulls numbers from various data fields at the investment provider and plugs them into our data. It appears to me that something changed in Quicken program around the end of July or beginning of August that gave rise to this issue.

Hopefully if enough users complain Quicken will take notice and look for the error.

• rick_larson
    rick_larson Member ✭✭
    Options

This issue should be resolved. As of this afternoon I was on the phone with a member of the Quicken software team and he identified it as a problem with their data supplier. They reached out to the data supplier who acknowledged the issue and claims to have resolved it. So far, so good, the prices have been stable on my ETFs thus far today after the market close.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is anyone still experiencing this problem? I haven't seen it for a few days and I'm not sure if that's a result of my adherence to a strict quotes updating schedule, or if its actually been fixed.

Thanks

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

I haven't seen it recently either. Looks like it's corrected.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Rick, Thanks for the follow up. I turned this issue in to support but they must have ignored or not understood. Thanks for your good work.

The uncorrected price errors I still have are as follows:

Price for 10/17 overwrote 10/16.

Prices from Monday appear on Sunday 10/8, 10/1, 9/17, 9/10, 8/27.

I suppose the only way to fix these are with manual corrections?

• MB
    MB Member ✭✭
    Options

Still not fixed. VERY frustrating when there is this much daily volatility in the market.

• MB
    MB Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Doesn't Quicken have enough business leverage over the provider with the issue to get this resolved? Or are they not putting any effort into it? I do not understand why this takes this long to resolve.

• AKGNJ
    AKGNJ Member
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue as described by the original poster. In my case, it consistently happens with these 3 ETFs - VTI, VYM, and VNQ. Every day when you download the previous day prices get updated to the current day's prices thereby showing no gain/loss from the previous day. This started somewhere this month.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Following the latest @shifter post, I reproduced the same pattern using some of the same and some different EFTs. I found (at 8:30 pm CT) VT did exhibit the problem whereas shifter reported that ETF problem-free some thirty minutes prior.

What this means (my interpretation), is that the problem lies with the third-party data supplier of CURRENT quotes duplicating today's prices as yesterday's (at least after trading hours close), while the provider of HISTORICAL quotes is able to provide good prices for today and yesterday. I have long believed those were two separate sources. This seems to confirm it.

Possibly some more investigation tomorrow (Saturday).

As part of this current investigation, I have observed two other new to me aspects.

1. The regular update fills in the last 30 days of pricing. Previously, I had understood that to be 5 days.
    2. The historical price update also fills in a minimum of 30 days, even if the user specifies only 5 days to be updated.

Good work, shifter!

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I've found that if I update around 7:30 - 7:45PM Eastern, the quotes will be good, so that's been my SOP since this problem started. Never occurred to me that there might be 2 different providers, but that would explain it.

I own somewhere in vicinity of 60-65 ETFs from a number of different providers. Around 25% of them are affected. I'm still unable to identify a pattern. Some Vanguards are problematic, others aren't. Same with iShares, etc. Some bond funds are affected, others aren't. Same with the stock funds.

I find it curious that there hasn't been a whole lot of chatter in the community about this, even though I consider it to be a much more serious problem than the "enter a valid date" issue, which has elicited about 10 pages of comments. Is it possible that its not affecting all Quicken users doing investment tracking? What could we possibly be doing that others aren't (aside from being the lucky owners of affected ETFs)?

I wish Quicken would, at least, acknowledge the problem. The longer it goes on, the tougher it gets to trust the validity of the historical numbers.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Here it is again!! I thought it was fixed. I went in to update at 1157 CDT on 10/27/2023. My ETFs had no value for 10/27, but the 10/27 price overwrote 10/26!!! Happened for all my ETFs, including SLV and GLD.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Went in again at 1215AM 10/28 and the 10 27 price appeared — but still overwrote the 10 26 price.

• windowsforqkn
    windowsforqkn Member ✭✭
    Options

This seems like some time zone conversion. Something is likely not converting correctly to/from UTC. Please fix it.

I find it super annoying but mostly am interested in using Quicken to track asset allocation.

• Rob445
    Rob445 Member ✭✭
    Options

Updated today (Saturday 10/28) - Multiple ETFs have Friday 10/27 closing prices entered as Thursday 10/26 prices. This affects ETFs from various sources (Vanguard, Schwab, SPDR) at two different brokerages (TDA/ Schwab and Merrill).

Still happening and not restricted to Sunday/ Monday

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Everyone with this problem should report to Quicken, Under Help there is a place to report a problem. Maybe thenthey will use leverage to get this fixed.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Earlier this weekend, I did report this via Report a Problem. In doing so, I encourage others to also include a link to this discussion.

As I see, this issue has been definitively connected to the current quotes data supplier, applies throughout the week, and impacts only ETFs, but not all of them.

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

On phone with support. Trying to blame Schwab. What is your Financial Institution?

• KCHawk
    KCHawk Member ✭✭
    Options

Just got off phone. Supposedly the issue has been escalated whatever that means. Suggt a call to Q support to get more emphasis on this problem. I dont think Report a Problem is effective. Would help if moderator reported this thread.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@KCHawk Assuming your question was directed my way, no financial institution is involved. I have been testing in a purely manual offline account and file using only the Download Quotes (current) and Download Historical Quotes features. That is how I identified or confirmed that the third party current quotes data supplier is the source of the issue.

• Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    Options

@KCHawk financial institution is E*Trade. I also have a watch list of ETF's I don't own and it happens to them as well.

• shifter
    shifter Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Even if an account specific quote may also be affected by this, you can rule it out just by using Quicken's own quote download service, which is if you use the update button on the investing/portfolio tab. That update button does not login to your specific accounts so Quicken have to resolve that issue first before deflecting to others. Even if they get faulty quotes from their 3rd party service, then they need to discard them instead of clobbering existing good quote data

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Further to this red-herring about financial institutions is the hierarchy of entered prices Quicken uses.

1. Manual price entry
    2. Current Price (Quote)
    3. Historical Price (Quote)
    4. Price downloaded with broker data through One Step Update or Update Now
    5. Import Price (CSV)
    6. Transaction Price entered when manually entering a transaction in the brokerage account list. 

Each entry method overrides the price(s) received by the method just below it. This means that the price displayed after entering a Buy transaction (for example) would be replaced by the price imported from a CSV downloaded from an investing site (such as Yahoo! Finance), which would be replaced by the price transmitted by the broker when performing One Step Update, and so forth.

Copied from https://www.quicken.com/support/how-update-security-prices

• If a price is created by a download from brokerage, a later download of historical or current quotes will override that broker's data.
    • If a price is created by a current quotes download, a later download with a price from a brokerage will not override it.
    • This also explains why if one has a correct value from a Historical Quotes download in place and then a Current Quotes download brings in different (bad) prices for that date, the correct value gets overridden. Likewise the (bad) Current Quotes value does not get replaced by the (correct) Historical Quotes value.

• mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@q_lurker

Thanks for posting this info - I never knew how it worked. Now that I do, it partially explains the nagging problem I've had over the years wherein on some days, random quotes would overwrite those from the prior day (like what we're seeing now), but in most cases would self-correct in a subsequent update not too long afterwards.

• dnfinance
    dnfinance Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Experiencing the same problem. Downloaded on 10/31 and the 10/31 prices were recorded correctly, but some security prices were recorded for 10/20 as well.

Anomaly is occurring for stocks, mutual funds and ETF's held in Schwab and Vanguard accounts.

This discussion has been closed.