Error opening Data File; File can't be found

Options
MishawakaKirk
MishawakaKirk Member ✭✭✭

Recently, within the past month, August and September 2023, when opening Quicken, I get an error that my data file can't be found. It gives me the option to search for it, or create new. When I select Search for it, it then gives me an Error that the Data set is already in use (zonk)…

I then close Quicken, and retry. Sometimes it works fine the next time; sometime the error repeats. No consistent parameters.

Quicken Premier
Version R52.20
Build: 27.1.52.20
Windows 11 Home

A complete reboot always resolved the issue; but not the most user friendly method to use, and my choice of last resort.

And I've noticed there have been 'more' Quicken updates recently, some within days of the previous update

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Options

Hello @MishawakaKirk,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

If you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the error message you described receiving? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments. Please remember to redact any personal information as needed.

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• MishawakaKirk
    MishawakaKirk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Q Jasmine,

Glad to help. Attached are three screen shots from the error 9/14/23.
    Quicken error 9-14-23 shows the error, as it first appears.
    Quicken error Full Screen 9-14-23, show the same error, but full screen so that what few menu options there are, are visible.

Quicken error nd screen Full Screen 9-14-23 (should be NEXT screen) shows the options visible on the next screen.
    I selected open a data file on this computer, which worked this time. Sometimes when I select that option, it would give me an error..

Kirk

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Where is your data file located? It should be on the local drive and not on a server. Pull down the file menu and post a screenshot of that.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what’s the full path to the Quicken QDF data file - and are you using OneDrive folders to perform real time backups

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MishawakaKirk
    MishawakaKirk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same place it's been for 4+ years.

D:/data/kesdata/Kirk

A local partition of my HD. No cloud, no server, no

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Error "File in use" sounds to me very much like

• A scheduled One Step Update is running (bagent.exe) or "hanging" since it was started during the night
      or
    • Some automated backup process is using the file to create a backup.

Which one might it be?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

if you go to your D drive and double click on the Quicken QDF data file … does it open in Quicken ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MishawakaKirk
    MishawakaKirk Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Ok, more info —
    1. Is / was an Update running? Unlikely, since Quicken had not been opened prior to my attempt to open the file (One Step can't start without first opening Quicken, right?)
    2. No Backup was running. I have no pre-scheduled Quicken Back-ups created, or set up; therefore, nadda…. however, full disclosure — I do have an SynologyNAS; but it backups any file instantaneously, when the file has changed. Since Quicken wasn't opened, there would be no trigger (no change to the file) for Synology to back up the file
    2. Yes, going to D: drive QDF and double clicking does open Quicken.

9/13 was the last occurance

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken does not play nice with some of the usual and standard "locking" methods…
    It appears that Quicken may Open/Close the Quicken data file in pieces,
    and it doesn't "lock" it for the entire duration from Quicken startup to Quicken exit…

SO - sometimes different backup or mirroring services might cause problems and conflicts with Quicken trying to open a piece of the data file, while it is also being grabbed for a real time backup -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.