How to migrate old QMac 2007 data to new iMac Ventura (edit)

Options

I have been a happy user of 2007 Quicken for Mac Version 16.2.4 on OS X Yosemite. I have just purchased an iMac Ventura v 13.5.

Question 1: Is there a way that I can transfer my existing accounting data to the new system?

Question 2: What current version of Quicken is most similar to the Mac Version 16.2.4 that I have been using.

Thanks for your input

[Removed - Email]

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The old version of Quicken you've been using hit a dead-end with Apple's evolving technologies after 2007, which is why it hasn't been updated; it's a dead end. And Apple discontinued the ability to run old 32-bit applications like Quicken 2007 several years ago, so you can't run Quicken 2007 on your new Mac. To replace Quicken 2007, the company (originally Intuit, and more recently the independent Quicken Inc.) built a new Quicken Mac from scratch over the past decade-plus. Some things are very much the same; some things look different and/or work different. Some things are better; some things from Quicken 2007 are still missing as the developers continue building the features of the modern program. You definitely will have a bit of a learning curve to get used to the new Quicken Mac. Quicken is now sold as a subscription product, so the annual fee is something else to get used to. 😂 Quicken Deluxe is the subscription/product level you'll want.

You'll want to copy your old Quicken 2007 .qdfm data file to the new Mac. If you're using a flash drive, make certain it is formatted a HFS+ or APFS, and not MS-DOS/Fat 32 before you copy the file to the flash drive. If you're copying Mac to Mac, there should be no problem — but I recommend doing File > Compress in the Finder to encase your data file in a .zip wrapper before moving the data file. Once the .zip file is on the new Mac, you can double-click it to de-compress it back into the .qdfm data file.

Also before starting, I suggest rebuilding the Quicken 2007 data file indexes on the old Mac; open Quicken and do Command-Option-B to do this. It may be unnecessary, but it can cure a host of odd problems which could come up during the conversion to the modern Quicken Mac database.

On the next Mac, install Quicken Mac and after registering, select that you want to start from a Quicken 2007 data file. Select your Quicken 2007 data file, and follow the prompts to allow it to go through Quicken's cloud converter in order to import your data into a new Quicken Mac database. If all goes well, your data will load into Quicken Mac and you'll be off and running. If you can run the old computer alongside the new one, it will make it easy to check account balances to see if everything looks correct. (If you have investment account, you may find you need an adjustment for a few cents for differences in how Quicken 2007 and Quicken Mac do rounding on transactions.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.