Why, after some updates, does Reconciliation include uncleared items and require adjustment balance?

bkjeight
bkjeight Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

Why your updates mess with reconciling, this is the fourth time, after an update, that pending uncleared items have to be marked as cleared to reconcile difference to $0.00. The reconciling program is including the uncleared when trying to reconcile and reflect in the cleared balance. I have to check the uncleared pending items as cleared to get a $0.00 balance to reconcile my account. Then I have go back and uncheck the items as uncleared. This is ridiculous that it keeps happening (this the fourth time) over the last year after your updates. I have had to send in a problem notification, I've called and talked to Supervisors who have escalated this issue up the chain to Tech support. Please, Please resolve this issue for ease of reconciling. I use the online balance and have for years without issue, like I said it has happened now 4 times after your updates in the last year.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

The situation you describe can occur if there is a timing difference at your bank between the transactions and the "online balance" that are downloaded. What I have observed with Bank of America is that if I do a One Step Update (OSU) in the evening, the balance that is downloaded sometimes includes transactions that will not be downloaded until the next morning.

In this situation I click on Finish Later in the reconciliation and the situation will resolve itself the next morning. I do not accept the balance adjustment.

QWin Premier subscription
  • bkjeight

I appreciate your response, but I’ve been a quicken user at least twenty years. This problem only occurs after some updates. I spent about 4 hours on the phone with a Supervisor for Quicken, it had nothing to do with my bank account. It was escalated up to the Tech Department for fixing. The items pending in my check ledger are not clear items and they show up in the Reconciliation window along with the bank cleared items. The problem is the program seeing the uncleared items creates an out of balance, ( I don’t accept the adjustment either) when working properly shows $0.00 balance. Then puts an R as reconciled on the bank cleared items. Anyway it’s a problem after some updates.

• Jim_Harman

Thanks for the update. I have also been using Quicken for about 20 years, and what you describe is exactly what I have seen.

For me the problem depends on when I do the update. If I do it in the morning after the overnight pending transactions have cleared, everything is OK. Sometimes in the evening there is a mismatch between the balance the bank downloads and the downloaded transactions.

In any event, I hope you can get them to resolve this. Please let us know what happens.

• OTTBMom
    OTTBMom Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭

I've had this problem, too, and it just happened again today. My Visa payment, which is deducted from my checking account, suddenly went into "unreconciled" status after an update. I cannot seem to get it to reconcile, and it's not the first time this has happened. It's not a timing issue — the transaction WAS reconciled two days ago, before the update. But not today, and I can't get it to reconcile.

So short of doing what I usually do, which is to restore from a backup of a few days ago — which sometimes works, and sometimes does not — or just creating a txn to force the reconciliation — which usually causes a problem somewhere else down the road — what can be done? And, yes, I've used Quicken for more than 20 years, too!

• Jim_Harman

Try clicking on Finish later and run the One step update again later today or tomorrow. If the issue is that the transactions and the online balance are out of sync, the situation will resolve itself. Do not accept a balance adjustment, that will just make things worse.

• bkjeight

The only way I corrected this issue was for Quicken to fix it. There update’s cause this. It doesn’t matter how many days I wait the problem doesn’t go away. The only way I balance is to mark the uncleared items as cleared in the reconciliation window. The difference goes to $0.00. I click finish, the “c” becomes an “R” then I have to go back in the ledger and change the uncleared item back to uncleared. My online balance and ledger balance are the same. Again the problem is the Reconciliation window is viewing all items as cleared. I just don’t want to spend 3 or 4 hours on the phone with customer service and then a supervisor who finally escalated it up to tech support. It took several days after that last year before it was corrected. The supervisor gave me this advise to put the issue on the Community Chat, because the Tech team is monitoring it. This is the Fourth time in last year this happens after an update. Most people don’t notice the problem as they don’t reconcile very often. I have done it pretty much daily for years without this issue, except the last year.

• bkjeight

Well, I am happy to report after this last update, that the reconciliation window has been corrected and functions as it should.

Thank you Tech folks.

This discussion has been closed.