CVS Stock Purchase Won't display in Portfolio (edit)

Options
Admitt
Admitt Member, Windows Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

I purchased CVS Health Corps (CVS) on August 17. This stock, and only this stock in my investment portfolio, won't assimilate into my brokerage account or watch lists. I spoke with a Quicken technician who gave up trying to figure it out and simply said I should contact my bank (broker) for more info.

This doesn't seem to be a bank related issue but a software compatibility question. I have since bought other stocks without any issue; it just seems as if CVS for whatever reason isn't compatible the program.

Assistance requested.

Tagged:

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

What steps did you take and what problem exactly did you have?

I went to Tools > Security list and had no trouble adding CVS to the list. The only possible issue I see is that the company name is CVS Health Corp, not Corps.

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you perhaps previously own a ‘different’ CVS - like the drugstore chain before it merged with Aetna? Check your security list including hidden securities for something else with the CVS ticker.

What do you mean by “won’t assimilate”? Assuming the broker’s transaction did not get downloaded and entered, did you try a manual entry of the buy? What happened?

• Admitt
    Options

I updated the stock name to "CVS Health Corp" and that didn't solve the problem. I can see CVS in the security list but again won't populate within the portfolio. I find it interesting you didn't have a problem, but I continue to do so.

Thanks.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I also have no trouble buying CVS. Are you getting any error messages?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

So… you bought CVS on Sept 17 -
    what brokerage ?
    did you receive a confirmation,
    and can you see it listed in your online brokerage account ?

Do you use One Step Update to download transactions from your brokerage -or -
    do you manually enter all transactions ?

Can you see CVS listed in the Quicken Security List detail -
    and does the Security Detail screen show your recent purchase ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Admitt
    Options

Rocket - I can view the purchased stock/ticker in my holdings, just not in my portfolio. I don't get any errors; validating the file doesn't yield any errors either. Thanks for trying!

Ps56k2 - Charles Schwab; yes, I have a confirmation of the trade and it's listed in my brokerage account as a stock I own.

I have downloaded the transaction and manually entered it; both efforts only get the ticker listed in my holdings…not in my portfolio tab.

Again, thank you all for your ideas. I truly appreciate it.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Tnx … so it’s really a Portfolio display issue and NOT that the stock is not added to your holdings.

updated topic title to better reflect actual discussion

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options

If you are referring to an Investing > Portfolio view, click on Customize at the top of the view and on the Securities tab, make sure CVS is included.

• Admitt
    Options

Jim - you were spot on! I followed your instructions and that did the trick! Never had to do that before, so I didn't even know to look!

My apologies but very appreciative thanks to everyone's helpful comments and ideas!

Thank you again,

Adam

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Glad you got it working.

But that raises a question. When I "bought" CVS, it automatically appeared in the portfolio view. I wonder why it worked seamlessly for me and not for @Admitt ?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel That's a good question. I have helped a few people in the past who had to explicitly add new securities to get them to appear in Portfolio views.

I just did an experiment and found that if you add a new security via the Add Security button in the Security List and you leave the Watch list box checked, its box gets checked automatically in the Portfolio views.

BUT if you un-check the Watch List box when adding the security, the security is NOT automatically added to the portfolio views!

This also applies if you un-check the Watch List box when adding the security via Enter Transactions/Bought.

There are other paths for adding new securities, for example when a Buy is downloaded and the security does not match anything in the Security list. I did not check these.

I guess this is a side effect of the change they made a while back to add the check box for the Watch List when adding a new security. Previously, adding a new always added it to the Watch list and you had to explicitly remove it if you did not want the Watch List to get cluttered.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

@Jim_Harman you are a good sleuth.

Maybe the product should be renamed Quirken.

This discussion has been closed.