Applying categories to downloaded transactions

Options

I've downloaded my bank transactions to Quicken and am trying now to assign categories to the transactions. The bank has a payee, "Pacific Gas & Electricity" and my Quicken category for that is Utilities:Electricity, so I assigned that category to the first "Pacific Gas & Electricity" transaction downloaded. I'm surprised, though, that all the other "Pacific Gas & Electricity" transactions downloaded didn't automatically get the Utilities:Electricity category. Is there a way to make that happen?

Thanks.

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill. There you will see the option Automatically memorize new Payees. If you check that box, Quicken will add new Payees and the Category you assign them to the Memorized Payee List (MPL). Then when it see that Payee again, it will use the same Category.

To add an existing transaction to the MPL, right click on it and select Memorize Payee …

To review, edit, or add new Payees, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List.

If your downloaded Payees vary, like Home Depot #123 and Home Depot #456, you can map them all to the same Payee using Renaming Rules.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    • Back up your data in case something goes wrong. There is no Undo.
    • Go to Edit > Find and Replace
    • Select Payee and Pacific Gas & Electric
    • Click on Find. This will find all your transactions for PG&E
    • Look over the list carefully and un-check any where you do not want to set the Category.
    • At the bottom next to Replace, select Category and the Category you want
    • Click on Replace all

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

Go to Edit > Preferences > Data entry and QuickFill. There you will see the option Automatically memorize new Payees. If you check that box, Quicken will add new Payees and the Category you assign them to the Memorized Payee List (MPL). Then when it see that Payee again, it will use the same Category.

To add an existing transaction to the MPL, right click on it and select Memorize Payee …

To review, edit, or add new Payees, go to Tools > Memorized Payee List.

If your downloaded Payees vary, like Home Depot #123 and Home Depot #456, you can map them all to the same Payee using Renaming Rules.

• toonbon
    toonbon Member
    Options

Thanks

• toonbon
    toonbon Member
    Options

Actually, that didn't solve my problem. I'm sure that now, with Quickfill, any new records I add with a payee of "Pacific Gas & Electricity" will get the Utilities:Electricity category but the two-year bank download I just did put 24 records with a payee of 'Pacific Gas & Electricity" into the database and what I'm looking for now is a way to rip through the database and edit all 24 of these records, that are already in the database, to have the Utilities:Electricity category. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options
    • Back up your data in case something goes wrong. There is no Undo.
    • Go to Edit > Find and Replace
    • Select Payee and Pacific Gas & Electric
    • Click on Find. This will find all your transactions for PG&E
    • Look over the list carefully and un-check any where you do not want to set the Category.
    • At the bottom next to Replace, select Category and the Category you want
    • Click on Replace all

• toonbon
    toonbon Member
    Options

Beautiful! Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.