How do I set a default category for automatic assignment?

Options
mansart
mansart Member, Windows Beta Beta

I'm having trouble understanding how to tame automatic category assignments in the cc register.

As an example, I have a payee named "Target". When I download transactions from Target, the category that automatically populates is "Household:Electronics". Now, I'm sure that I probably bought some electronic item at Target at one time or another. But it is certainly not the most recent Target category I've entered, (that would be "Food:Groceries"). Nor is it the most frequently used Target category, (that would be "Food:Groceries"). It's not even alphabetically the first Target category, (that would be, you guessed it, "Food:Groceries").

I do have it set to automatically memorize payees, so I went into the Memorized Payee List to see what I could figure out. Under Target, there are five different categories listed. However, none of those five is "Household:Electronics", so I have no idea where it's pulling that from. The first one listed is "Food:Groceries".

I really just want to be able to set one of the five listed categories as the default and have it always default to that. Is there a way to do that?

Windows 10 Home
Version: R52.20
Build: 27.1.52.20

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I suggest creating a Memorized Payee (Tools menu) for Target with the desired, default category and an amount of $0 and then LOCK that MP.

I'd also create a Renaming Rule (Tools menu) that strips the store # from the Payee (unless you like to know that) so that your renamed downloaded Payee matches the Memorized Payee exactly.

Get rid of any other Target Memorized Payees that might exist.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I suggest creating a Memorized Payee (Tools menu) for Target with the desired, default category and an amount of $0 and then LOCK that MP.

I'd also create a Renaming Rule (Tools menu) that strips the store # from the Payee (unless you like to know that) so that your renamed downloaded Payee matches the Memorized Payee exactly.

Get rid of any other Target Memorized Payees that might exist.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mansart
    mansart Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks @splasher. It seems that checking "Lock" was the piece I was missing.

I still don't know where it was getting the other category from, since it wasn't in the Memorized Payee List for that payee at all.

But anyway, so far the problem seems to be solved.

This discussion has been closed.