How to customize Mac reports for additional columns

Options
Lisa999
Lisa999 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports (Mac)

I am a Quicken Windows user helping someone who is using Quicken Mac and is very new to it. My question is about Quicken Mac Reports. I've copied a TRansaction report but do not see a way of modifying the columns displayed in that report to include things like Check Number, Tag, etc. Is it possible to do in Quicken Mac and how would I do it?

TIA!

Tagged:

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Open the report. In the menu bar under the report's title, click the View icon and select Columns. This will allow you to show and hide the specific columns you want. After you do this, you can change the order of the fields by clicking ad dragging a column heading to the left or right. You can also change the width of columns by clicking on the separator between column headings and dragging left or right. Be careful that after clicking on column headings that you haven't inadvertently changed the sort order; you may need to click on the column heading you want things sorted by (such as Category). When you click on a column heading, a second click will reverse the sort order.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Lisa999
    Lisa999 Member ✭✭
    Options

thank you! I don’t recall seeing that option but will look when I meet with him again. I figured it would be something obvious that I should have seen. Thank you!

• Lisa999
    Lisa999 Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh I just realized. I was t seeing anything happen when I clicked view. What should I see after clicking view @jacobs

• jacobs
    Options

Open the report:

Click View:

Click Columns:

• Lisa999
    Lisa999 Member ✭✭
    Options

awesome. Thank you. I was not seeing these as choices so I’ll look again

• jacobs
    Options

Make sure you are NOT trying to use the "Category Summary" report in the "Other Reports" group. These "Other Reports" are old carryover reports from the early days of the new Quicken Mac, and the developers have been slowly eliminating them from the program because the new reports engine which was built about 5-6 years ago has superseded these reports.

If your report has a gray icon rather than a colored one, you're using one of these old reports. And as you can see in the screen shot below, the View menu doesn't exist in the old Category Summary report:

Aside from aesthetics, the old Category Summary report is known to have bugs causing it to omit data at time, which is why anyone should avoid using this report. (I suspect the developers haven't removed it yet because they haven't yet engineered how to transition users' saved old report to the new reports engine without causing any disruption for users.)

I'd also note that not all reports have the Columns sub-menu on the View menu, because it's simply not applicable. For instance, a Summary report, Comparison report, or Net Worth report doesn't have a Columns option, because adding transaction-specific fields like check number or tag doesn't apply to a report where the columns are defined by the type of report.

This discussion has been closed.