How to assign CUSIP for Treasury Bond download info for offline account?

Options
mikek753b
mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

This is for Treasury Direct (TD) that Quicken can't download transactions from

I have to manually create every transaction to track T Bonds, but I can't figure out how to make Quicken to download T Bond info based on the CUSIP.

How to set the CUSIP for T Bond in TD account?

Also, how to update existing T Bond securities to set appropriate to each CUSIP to make Quicken download T Bond info?

Best Regards

Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

thank you , but above is for I-Bond

I need for T Bond, T Bill, T Node, GSE types.

Above will be incorrect for tax related tracking, gains are tracked in this case as a Bond price increase, while Income Schedule B to be tracked with 0 Bond price increase.

Best Regards
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Ok - my offline accounts are usually kludged together in one way or another

Will be interesting to see what others suggest for your tracking, as I don’t know of a way to download information solely based upon upon CUSIP and where or how you could actually download this info using Quicken - other than manually transcribing from some source.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

As far as I know the CUSIP is not something somehow "available" to the user to change or modify. It's assigned based on information downloaded from the financial institution, but you can't download from Treasury Direct.

Even if you could somehow enter a CUSIP, where would you download quotes from? Quicken's quote provider doesn't use CUSIP to link prices to securities, it uses a ticker symbol.

• mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

does it mean that Quicken doesn't support TBill CUSIP to download from online ?

like it can be done for a Stock ticker, regardless of account. like it's done for indexes

Best Regards
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken's quote provider only provides quotes for securities with a ticker symbol. Quicken Help makes this statement: "Quicken will not download prices for securities that don't have the correct ticker symbols assigned to them."

Brokers typically include quotes for securities like bonds that don't have ticker symbols so bond quotes are included in those downloads.

Downloads directly into Quicken use a few different protocols - Direct Connect, Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect+ - and I'm not aware of any general "online" site that has a Intuit BID (Branding ID) that can provide those quotes directly to users. You can enter quotes manually one at a time, or construct a .CSV file with historical quotes that Quicken can import:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows

• stanray
    stanray Member ✭✭✭
    Options

My method is to enter a new security manually for each T-Bill purchased. I use the T-Bill's CUSIP as it's ticker symbol and add "T-Bill" to the front of the CUSIP as it's name. This keeps all the T-Bills together in the security list. I then use "Buy Bond" and enter the info using the new T-bill CUSIP that I created. I enter the full dollar amount for the T-Bill (25 shares at $100 for example) for a $2500 bond. You can also enter any information about the bond in the memo and description windows such as 4, 8, 13 week bond and maturity dates etc.. I then put the Discount under _accrued interest which will account for Federal Tax and ignore State Tax. The _accrued tax will show up in the Treasury Direct account as Misc Interest in the cash portion of the Treasury Direct account. You can transfer this amount to whatever account Treasury Direct is setup for depositing redeemed amounts to. Whichever method you use you should write the steps down so they can be repeated however often you buy bonds. You don't want to have to reinvent the wheel each time. (Been There)

This discussion has been closed.