2 things preventing me from using Budgeting on Quicken Mac

Options
TeaLeaves
TeaLeaves Member

Hi, tell me I'm wrong, but I only want to see certain categories of all the ones I use - not lines with unselected categories in use in Budget with 0's across the page. For example, I just want to track variable categories I have control over (shopping, restaurants but not groceries and utilities). Second, does anyone know when Mac users will be able to rollover unused balances or deficits month to month? For now, I'm exporting to excel rather than using Budgets.

Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@TeaLeaves said: Hi, tell me I'm wrong

Okay, you're wrong. 🤣 (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Only the first part about selecting categories…

You can set which categories you want to see/track in your budget quite easily: open your budget, click "Edit Budget" near the top, and then in the lower left corner, click the "Select Categories" button. Now you can remove any categories you don't want to see in your budget (or alternatively click Select: None and then manually select the ones you do want to see.)

As for rollover capabilities, all we know is that there is an Idea thread for this capability which is still marked as "Under Consideration". That means the developers haven't yet committed to putting this on their development roadmap. When might such a feature appear? No one here has any way of knowing, and Quicken never pre-announces what features are coming or when.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • TeaLeaves
    Options

Thanks for answering but I know what you are talking about. When I unselect categories there is still a line for the category, just 0's all across the row and 75% of my categories (taxes, fixed mortgage, utilities) are things I don't want to track. To make it useful to me, I just want to see variable categories I'm trying to monitor - Restaurants, Shopping, etc.

If they fixed this I'd have another budget for annual, semi annual and surprise (car service) expenses to plan better for them. I need a short list of categories, not a page of categories with 0's.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

When I unselect categories there is still a line for the category, just 0's all across the row and 75% of my categories (taxes, fixed mortgage, utilities) are things I don't want to track.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. When you go to Edit Budget, Select Categories, de-select a category, and click OK, the category should instantly disappear from he Edit Budget screen. You then have to also click Save on the bottom right of th Edit Budget screen to lock in the change you made, and you should see the line is now missing from the regular budget screen. I just tested this in my budget, and it behaves for me as described.

Try this:

• First, save a copy of your data file,
    • Create a new Budget: Budgets > New Budget
    • Accept the 1/2023 starting date
    • Click Edit Budget,
    • Click Select Categories
    • Click Select None
    • Click on just one or two categories
    • Click Ok
    • Click Save

You should now have a budget with just those one or two categories, nothing else.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.