How do I modify an existing report to separate 1 line into 2 AND add a new account?

Options
ejbucknell
ejbucknell Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Reports (Windows)

Have existing saved report separated into IRA and non-IRAs (mutual funds). Added new non-IRA fund (Fidelity Blue Chip) but already had that fund in my IRA — report now shows lump-sum of the 2 amounts on IRA line. Each is clearly marked tax deferred or non-tax deferred in account list. Any suggestions how I get Quicken to recognize and separate Blue Chip on my report? Also have added a new non-IRA fund, Fidelity Small Cap Growth - saved report isn't listing that fund. Any suggestions to get Quicken to pick that up? Spent 50 minutes with a Quicken rep on a shared screen - that was a waste of time. I do a monthly report and since I can't do it in Quicken I do it in Excel.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm surprised the agent was not able to help you straighten this out.

For investments, Quicken lets you set up Securities - mutual funds, stocks, bonds, ETFs, etc., and Accounts.

There are several types of investing accounts - taxable Brokerage accounts, IRAs, Roth IRAs, and 401(k)s for example. Each investing Account can hold multiple Securities. The accounts are usually shown in the Account bar on the left side of your screen.

Is this the way you have your securites set up, or do you perhaps just have one security per account?

QWin Premier subscription
  • ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

You may have hit on something. In the SECURITY (emphasis added) list there is only one entry for Fidelity Blue Chip. I used to be able to set up a Security file for both IRA and non-IRA accounts - see the attachment.

I set up this report in Quicken several years ago — I have reports dating to 2010 and funds have changed several times over the course of years. In 2020, I deleted a mutual fund and added another in its place — that's when the problem started of not being able to generate a report reflecting the correct distribution of funds between IRA and non-IRA and not being able to show a new fund. I have Fidelity Blue Chip in my tax deferred AND non-tax deferred accounts. In the Account List, both are shown as a Single Mutual Fund Account. In the Account List, the tax deferred is shown as a Traditional IRA and the non-tax deferred account as a brokerage account. The account I want to add - Fidelity Small Cap Growth - is shown as a brokerage account, tax deferred is checked "no" and it's a single mutual fund account; it is also listed in the Security list. The agent I spoke with was more concerned with trying to generate a report using Investing Reports from the top menu. I reiterated again and again that the reports being generated continued to show a lump sum total for Blue Chip and didn't pick up the new account, Fid Small Cap Growth. The Security List shows "Fid Blue Chip Growth" and the Account List (and the Account Bar) shows "Fid Blue Chip - Jt" and "Fid Blue Chip - Jan"; could that make a difference in Quicken's putting a lump sum together? Any insight you can give me will be GREATLY appreciated.

[Edited to replace pdf file with screenshot of same — q_lurker]

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I set up this report in Quicken several years ago …

What is the report? What type of information are you seeing presented. If you can paste in a screenshot of relevant information without revealing private information, that would help.

I used to be able to set up a Security file for both IRA and non-IRA accounts

It is possible to still do that, but it is not a recommended pattern. In 99% of the cases including yours as I understand it, it is not necessary.

The account I want to add - Fidelity Small Cap Growth - is shown as a brokerage account, tax deferred is checked "no" and it's a single mutual fund account; it is also listed in the Security list

This gets to the gist of your issue I believe which centers on terminology. An account is not a security — the terms are not interchangeable You want to add a brokerage account as a SMF account to hold the shares of the Fidelity Small Cap Growth Fund security. The account can me named anything you want, but when you name it the same as the security, confusion develops as to what is the account and what is the security. The ACCOUNT you added is not listed in the SECURITY list.

Your statement (quoted) indicates you have created the brokerage account. You then need to Buy Shares of the security "Fid Small Cap Growth" within that account. It is not clear you have done that.

I have Fidelity Blue Chip in my tax deferred AND non-tax deferred accounts. In the Account List, both are shown as a Single Mutual Fund Account. …

… The Security List shows "Fid Blue Chip Growth" and the Account List (and the Account Bar) shows "Fid Blue Chip - Jt" and "Fid Blue Chip - Jan"; could that make a difference in Quicken's putting a lump sum together?

So you have two accounts "Fid Blue Chip - Jt" and "Fid Blue Chip - Jan" and each hold different amounts of the same security "Fid Blue Chip Growth". That is the 'normal' and recommended structure. Is your report presenting those holdings and accounts the way you want?

I reiterated again and again that the reports being generated continued to show a lump sum total for Blue Chip and didn't pick up the new account, Fid Small Cap Growth.

This is where it would be helpful to know what report format you are trying to work with. Every report can be customized and it appears your report needs to be re-customized to include this new ACCOUNT. It may also need to be re-customized to include the newer SECURITY. It is also possible that you will need to regenerate the entire report. In some cases, saved reports do not transition well from one program release to the next.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

The NEW version

The OLDER version

Attached are a 2008 report and the one I'm trying to get to work in 2023. Both show the accounts but I have covered up the data.

In 2008, my late husband and I had 2 Fidelity Mutual funds in each of our IRAs and in the joint non-IRA account - Export-Multinational & Growth & Income. I never had any problem generating an end-of-month report until December 2020 when I deleted an account and added another — my 12/31/20 report is in Excel and that is what I have been using. With my husband's death, everything has been consolidated to my accounts. Currently, I have Fidelity Blue Chip in both my IRA and non-IRA account but it is only showing as a lump sum under the Retirement heading. I do have shares in Fidelity Small Cap Growth but haven't been able to add it to the 2023 report. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am a monkey-see, monkey-do user so if it would work best to regenerate the report to get to something that resembles the 2008 report, that will work but I would need step-by-step guidance. (The only reason I included the 2008 report was to show that is how long I have been generating the reports and to show the column headings I prefer). Thank you very, very much for any guidance you can provide.

[Edited to replace pdf files with screenshots of same - q_lurker]

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First observation — the 2008 report was a "Portfolio Value" report. Your 2023 version is a "Portfolio Value and Cost Basis" report. That is why the column presentations are different.

I can't be sure, but I suspect the groupings (Ed's Retirement, Jan's Retiremt (sic), etc.) are by Investing Goal. That structure would form one reason to have two distinct securities in Quicken for the same one real world security (the missing 1% from my 99% above).

Do you have the 2023 report Grouped by Investing Goal (or some other setting)?

If you group by Account, do you get something closer to what you currently desire? What you are likely to miss there is the summation of several 'IRA retirement" accounts into one total.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also, if, for the Fid Blue Chip Growth SECURITY, you follow the path Security Details, Edit Details button, Other Info button, does the Investing Goal field show "Jan's Retiremt"?

I'm betting it does, so let me try to walk you through the one as two setup.

Start by making the existing security IRA specific

• Edit the security details
    • Change the name to "Fid Blue Chip Growth - IRA" or any similar unique name

Now create the second version

• Crtl-Y to get the Security List
    • Add Security Button at the bottom
    • Rather than fill in the box, click the "Click here" at the bottom to manually create the security
    • Enter a suitable name (Fid BC Growth - Non-ira)
    • Do NOT enter the ticker
    • Change to Mutual Fund if desired
    • Next — enter additional info as desired and click Done
    • Now get to the Security details for that new security, Edit Details
    • Now fill in the missing Ticker symbol.
    • Other Info, enter the desired "Investing Goal (Non-IRAs)

(It can be good keep the security names short enough so that the distinction between the two is clearer in the first partion of the name. That can prevent selection the wrong security for the wrong account.)

Once you have the second version of this you will need to edit the "Buys" and other transactions in the non-IRA account to reference this non-IRA intended security. Doing so may first require you to undo the Single Mutual Fund selection for this account.

Though I might be missing a step along the way, I think this is the direction you will be most comfortable with.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The MAJOR STEP I omitted

Create a Backup File of your data before venturing along this path, just in case something derails.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Portfolio Value 2023

Customize IRA - Non-IRA report

I have been digesting your initial comments. I THINK I have the report set to total by Investment Goal (see att). I printed Portfolio Value (att) and that has the Blue Chip lump-summed together and Small Cap Growth on a separate line. I printed your comments and I will digest them and try them tomorrow when I can think straight. (Whenever I make even the smallest change, I backup the data. That has been invaluable at times). Thank you very much. I will let you know tomorrow or Saturday how everything goes.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Securities are different from Accounts.

Individual funds, like Fidelity Blue Chip, are Securities. You only need one entry in the Security List for each security you own, even if it is held in more than one Account.

An Account, if the Single mutual Fund option is not selected, can hold one or more securities. IRA accounts should be separate from taxable accounts. Your brokerage statement will usually be organized by Account.

Every Security you own must be in one or more Accounts.

You can keep these as single mutual fund accounts, with one fund in each account if you want, but to avoid confusion give each account a name that is different from the fund that is in it. It could be as simple as adding "IRA" to the end of the IRA accounts and " "Taxable" or "Joint" to the taxable accounts.

I will try to restate what you said above, using the correct terminology.

The SECURITY I want to add - Fidelity Small Cap Growth - is CURRENTLY HELD IN A a brokerage account, tax deferred is checked "no" and it's a single mutual fund account; it is also listed in the Security list.

So if you want to add this Security in a Single Mutual Fund IRA account, you should create a new IRA account called "Fidelity Small Cap Growth IRA" or whatever, and Buy that security in the new account.

Then if you group your report by Account, the taxable and IRA holdings will be separate.

QWin Premier subscription
  • ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Non-IRA Security list details

IRA Security List Details

Portfolio Report Page 1

Portfolio Report Page 2

I was able to get the Fidelity Small Cap Growth added to the Portfolio Report. Still unable to get a break out of the Blue Chip Growth. At the left on each of the attachments are the accounts I have and the names associated with each account; it was easier just to say "Jt (joint)" for the non-IRA accounts or "Ed" or "Jan" for the IRAs. I have also attached the security details for each of the Blue Chip accounts; I was careful NOT to add the Ticker symbol for the non-IRA until the 9th step. Not certain what you mean by "Once you have the second version of this you will need to edit the "Buys" and other transactions in the non-IRA account to reference this non-IRA intended security. Doing so may first require you to undo the Single Mutual Fund selection for this account." That may be why everything is still ending up under the IRA heading.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Options

Should I establish a new account, Fid Blue Chip - non-IRA, and transfer all existing shares into it basically zeroing out the old account?

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No need to. You have the Fid Blue Chip - Jt account for that purpose.

Let's make sure I am understanding your current status:

• You have the ACCOUNT Fid Blue Chip - Jt holding shares of the SECURITY Fid Blue Chip - Jan
    • You have the ACCOUNT Fid Blue Chip - Jan holding shares of the SECURITY Fid Blue Chip - Jan
    • Both those ACCOUNTS are set up as Single Mutual Fund (SMF) accounts.

With that understanding, you will first need need to change the status of the Fid Blue Chip - Jt ACCOUNT so it is NOT a SMF account.

Then you will need to edit each transaction in the Fid Blue Chip - Jt ACCOUNT to change the transaction security name from "Fid Blue Chip - Jan" to "Fid Blue Chip - Jt", one by one.

Once all those edits are made, you can change the ACCOUNT status back to an SMF account so it presents itself the same as the others.

It appears you are also ready and OK to add the FBGRX ticker to the new "Fid Blue Chip - Jt" security.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Options

I've made the first two changes and they show up on my saved report. I'll get the other transactions changed over the next couple days since the non-IRA account was established in 2020 and has had monthly deposits (and some withdrawals) since then. Thanks very, very much for your help.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Options

Made all the changes and the totals on the printed report agree with the Quicken totals and I changed the non-IRA account back to a SMF account. I make automatic monthly purchases in the non-IRA account. I will double-check to make certain that the transactions show the Jt account, not the IRA account. Again, thanks for your help.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Options

Have another problem that I'm hoping you can help me with. I went to update my checking account on Quicken today. I have lost previous entries from checks 11743 - 11750. Is there any way I can get them back EXCEPT by using a backup from that date and then recreating all the steps to get my report to print correctly? Can you think of any reason the checks would disappear? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

• ejbucknell
    ejbucknell Member ✭✭
    Options

I think I solved my own problem. I had the wrong date on Check ending 42. When I changed date to 9/20, everything fell into place! DUHHH

This discussion has been closed.