Continuous backup to local NAS breaks local Quicken backup (edit)

Options
Adam W
Adam W Member ✭✭

Windows 11 Home
Quicken Classic Deluxe
Version: R52.28
Build: 27.1.52.28
File size: ~144MB

When first reopening Quicken after updating, I couldn't get to the Bills & Income page. Error was "Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again."

I am not using DropBox and I don't have Quicken Mobile & Web enabled. I closed the file and reopened it, and then going to the Bills & Income page worked - no more error.

Then I tried to perform a manual "Complete Backup" to the local ../Quicken/BACKUP folder. It will not do the backup. I get the following series of errors:

"Unable to open source file"

"Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by another application, such as a cloud storage backup. Please close that application or turn off cloud storage sync and try again."

"Unable to re-load current file after copy."

I'm then left with a blank Quicken screen. I can manually reopen my Quicken file. Or I can close Quicken and reopen it. But then I still can't perform a backup. Looking at my backup history in the ../BACKUP folder, I have an automatically generated backup from yesterday on R52.20.

How do I remedy this error and restore the ability to manually create backups?

Best Answer

• Adam W
    Adam W Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thank you @georgeh43 - This was the issue. I had a rule to perform continuous backup to a locally networked Synology NAS. When I excluded the Quicken folder, I was able to make a backup. Now I'll add a rule to perform backups of the Quicken folder and subfolders once a day after hours.

Answers

This discussion has been closed.