How to use the same file on a desktop AND a laptop?

Options
emily
emily Member ✭✭

I used to be able to go back and forth using a thumb drive, but since they "upgraded" the software, I've all sorts of problems related to download, having to reauthorize the financial institutions. This is annoying and I can't believe I am the only person who uses a desktop most of the time and only relies on the laptop while traveling.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What specific problems?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• emily
    emily Member ✭✭
    Options

Problems primarily with having to relink the financial institutions. I've now tried saving the file to my microsoft one drive, but when I opened the file on the laptop (initially) Quicken tells me the file belongs to another user. After logging into microsoft, the transactions appear in the file, but it shows the last download several months prior. I haven't yet tried updating the file. Quicken support (I spoke to a live person) told me what I was trying to do wasn't possible. I told them my situation was far from unique. NO answer to that. I will continue to work on this problem as I like to keep at least my main file up to date and cannot imagine the time required to update after a month away from my desktop.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

what exact steps are you performing to shuttle your Quicken QDF data file ?
    There are several issues with this task, and some techniques may cause data corruption.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• emily
    emily Member ✭✭
    Options

I initially used a thumb drive (acing the file as a backup) to move the file between computers and “restored” that backup file. This used to work beautifully. But after one of the program upgrades, the transaction download didn’t work unless I deactivated each financial institution and then reactivated the connection to them; very annoying if you’ve many financial institutions to connect.

• emily
    emily Member ✭✭
    Options

I NOW backup the file to my one drive. As I said earlier, I had hoped to avoid problems that occurred with using thumb drive as backup. As I said before , I haven’t yet tried transaction downloads with the file on my laptop that has been “restored “ this way. When I initially tried to open it, the program said the file “belonged” to another user.

This discussion has been closed.