Need option for Transaction reports without splits (Q Mac)

Options
jacobs
jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
edited October 2023 in Reports

For Transaction Reports where the Row is set to Payee, Account or Time, transactions with splits show up as separate line items in the report. We need an option to not show the splits and simply show the overall transaction.

Example: each month I have a T-Mobile bill which I split between two categories for the cell phone service and the purchase of the phone:

If I run a Transactions by Payee report for the year, I'd expect — or want the option — to see each monthly T-Mobile bill as a single line, showing my monthly bill amount, like this mockup:

Currently, it isn't possible to have the Report show each transaction as a single line with the actual transaction amount. There needs to be an option to suppress split lines and show each transaction as a single line.

(Note: you also cannot Search for such transactions in a register, select them, and print them, because printing a transaction register also separates transactions into individual split lines, with no option to print just the total transaction. There is a separate Idea thread for that functionality here.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
9 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• jacobs
    edited August 2023
    Options

[removed by me; unneeded]

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I would LOVE to have the option to not show splits in Transactions reports. I've added my vote.

• BobWilliamson
    BobWilliamson Member ✭✭
    Options

I love quicken for mac .. but it is frustrating when I cant print a transaction report without splits .. I use that as a quick reference on my budget so I can just open a pdf and browse the pdf without getting into the program on my mac …. I used this in quicken for windows but that meant I would have to run a virtual windows environment with quicken for windows installed. This is extra processing not necessary on my mac …. since I dont use windows for anything else on my mac …. I have tried to go to the bug report links to add my vote and they give me a 503 error and do not work.

I have also exported the transaction data to excel and found even then it is just a pain in the but to edit out all the splits and would just rather do a quick print to pdf.

in order to make quicken for mac a true replacement for quicken windows, your developers need to make this a priority and get it out to us asap.

Then posts I have seen go back for months with no response other than to vote. this is unacceptable.

Thank you in advance.

Please make this a priority since I am not the only one asking for this feature.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

You are not talking to the Quicken developers here; it's primarily a user to user forum.

This is the Idea post for this. You should vote for it.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @BobWilliamson,

Your idea has been merged into this already active Idea thread regarding the same request. Please be sure to add your own vote.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• BobWilliamson
    BobWilliamson Member ✭✭
    Options

how do you vote? all I got this am was 503 errors…

• jacobs
    Options

@BobWilliamson scroll to the top of this thread, locate the yellow box beneath the first post, and click the small dark gray arrow under the vote counter. The vote count should increase. (If the arrow is light gray, it means you’ve already voted, and click it will remove your vote.)

I just tried it, and was able to remove and re-add my vote. If you were doing this, perhaps there was a temporary problem with the site which is now okay.

• BobWilliamson
    BobWilliamson Member ✭✭
    Options

thanks found it appreciate

• jacobs
    Options

@moski @nafinahmot An Idea you had previously voted for and commented on was recently archived by the moderators for not achieving enough votes. 😥 However, there were two other Idea threads requesting similar functionality which are still alive, so you should add your vote for this Idea — scroll up to the top of the page, locate the yellow box under the first post, and if the arrow under the vote counter is dark gray, click it to add your vote — if it's something you would like to see added to Quicken Mac.

• MauryJ
    MauryJ Member ✭✭
    Options

I voted for this, too. I’d love to just see a list of payees. I use it sometimes as a clue to track down errors when balances don’t agree (compared to a csv downloaded from the bank), but that’s just one use case. The splits are not collapsible, and it generates way too much noise to be useful. If I write a check to Visa “A” 12 times in a year and Visa 10 times, I don’t need to see 300+ “transactions” just to see those 2 payees.

I find it very frustrating to see category splits embedded in the current report. I’d love to have a payee summary where splits are collapsed, missing, or hidden. This is especially true of credit cards. If you have 8 restaurant charges on a statement, for me that just falls under dining. So the category for dining is really x number of transactions on a given card for whatever that period of time is. It’s not a transaction, because the 1 “dining” split on that card could be 8 or 10 transactions. Or groceries, or gas, or whatever you use the card for multiple times in a month. Later reports are so noisy they’re useless