Why aren't Credit Cards showing up as Spending accounts?

Options
Clark Fowler
Clark Fowler Member ✭✭

If you add a credit card it shows up in banking when the account intent is Credit but can also be changed to liability. Much of the documentation shows that "Banking, Savings, and Credit Cards are considered Spending. And much of the search information regarding setting up credit cards as spending accounts indicate that it can be changed in the Account Intent section of the display options to spending. However, only Credit and Liability show up in the list of options for Account Intent.

If I select spending account the credit card does not show up in any reports.

I pay all my bills via the credit card and really just notice that they weren't included in spending reports.

Why is this happening?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I am confused. In your original post you said the credit card spending does not show up in any reports. I don't think that is correct.

Does the issue actually only come up on the Home tab Classic In/Out/What's left panel or is on a different panel on the Home Tab? Do you have your credit card Account Intent set to Credit? On the In/Out/What's left panel, the credit spending is included if you select the Spending option.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Normally you should leave the Account Intent for credit cards as "Credit"

In your spending reports, click on the gear at the top right of the report and then select the Accounts tab. The credit cards should be listed in the Banking section and if they are not checked, check them. Be sure to save the report if you will be using it again in the future.

Please let us know if that fixes it for you.

• Clark Fowler
    Clark Fowler Member ✭✭
    Options

You are right but that is because all accounts are selected or if you select Credit Card specifically.

However, if you choose anything that relies on the "Spending" intent, it will not show up.

Because of that, some of the Panels in Dashboard are not correct. For instance, "In/Out/What's Left" does not allow you to choose the accounts, it only includes it if the "Account Intent" is set to spending and there is no was to set it to spending.

Anywhere in Quicken, if you cannot specifically select the Credit Card account, it will not be included in the totals.

I guess most of it is error in the "Dashboard" panels

I may be being to general but I know it cannot be included in the "In/Out"What's Left" panel which makes it useless in my case.

• Jim_Harman
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I am confused. In your original post you said the credit card spending does not show up in any reports. I don't think that is correct.

Does the issue actually only come up on the Home tab Classic In/Out/What's left panel or is on a different panel on the Home Tab? Do you have your credit card Account Intent set to Credit? On the In/Out/What's left panel, the credit spending is included if you select the Spending option.

• Clark Fowler
    Clark Fowler Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes originally I was using reports as an example. However, I didn't think about it from the vantage point of "selecting all accounts" or "selecting the credit card", instead of was thinking of it when I selected "Spending Accounts" or "Credit Cards" Because the default is "all accounts" my reports have actually been correct.

Yes the credit card is set to Credit"

Yeah I didn't notice that it was included in the spending option. I was trying to get it to show up in the Bills and other bills portion. And with what you are saying, I think I can use the "Spending" option to get what I need.

Thank you very much for explaining the details of it and giving me the option that should work. And thank you very much for such quick responses. I really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Have a great week!!

This discussion has been closed.