Summary of how much cash in each investment account (Q Mac)

Options
Ploooplooo
Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2023 in Reports (Mac)

We have multiple investment accounts (individual accounts for two of us * three brokers). Each of these accounts accumulate cash over time from interest and dividends. To see how much cash is in each account I currently go to each account's portfolio page and manually enter it into a spreadsheet.

Is there a report - or some other way - that I can see the cash (or another investment) summarized by account?

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry, I missed that you wanted to see it by account. You could do this instead: set the filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Account". Now, click the ••• icon in the upper right and select Print > Print, and in the Print dialog box, click the PDF dropdown and select Open in Preview. This will show all your holdings in all your accounts, so you can see the cash in each one.

You can also see this on-screen, but you'd need to click the > to the left of each account. If you have a lot of accounts that could be annoying, which is why I suggested viewing it in Preview with fewer clicks. (I've been wishing the developers would add an "Expand All" button to the Portfolio view, as they did in Reports.)

Now, if you're going to tell me you want those cash accounts totaled, you could do Export > Export to CSV, open in your spreadsheet program of choice, and delete the non-cash securities rows. Not great, but it's a way to get what you want. 😉

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, easy. Customize a Portfolio View to show only "No Security (includes cash)" and group by Accounts.

I have a view like this. I choose to also include money market funds and a savings sub-account but you can do whatever you want.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Oops, I apologize. I provided a Windows answer not realizing this was a Mac question.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel, you had me excited for a moment with functionality that I wasn't aware of. Then I saw your footer that you're a windows user. Unfortunately I'm on Mac (Ugh!).

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I know, sorry. I have asked around for any Mac superusers to stop by this thread.

(Sometimes I go look at unanswered questions and I forget that those are not filtered by operating system as are my other views in this forum.)

• jacobs
    Options

Yes, there's any easy way to see this in Quicken Mac. 😊

• First, click on Investing in the left sidebar if you want all accounts —or Brokerage or Retirement, if you just want those subsets
    • Click on Portfolio
    • Set the dropdown filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Security"

You'll see a list of all your securities, across all accounts, with the total of "Cash" at the bottom.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

A note regarding @jacobs suggestion: If your brokerage account places uninvested funds in a money market mutual fund, that might not be included in the "Cash" total. You'll have to look through the list of assets and add any MMF investments to the Cash total.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thanks @jacobs and @Jon. For brokerages that sweep to money market, I delete the specific money market trades so the balance appears in quicken as a cash balance.

However, @jacobs suggestion doesn't really achieve my goal since it only gives me one total cash balance. I'd like a list of all my brokerage accounts with each of their respective cash balances so I can see on one screen/report where all my available cash is. For example, I think I could achieve my objective if I could (a) select Brokerage in the sidebar, (b) click on Portfolio, (c) set the first dropdown to Cash, (d) set the second dropdown to By Account. But unfortunately Cash is not an option in the first dropdown.

• jacobs
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry, I missed that you wanted to see it by account. You could do this instead: set the filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Account". Now, click the ••• icon in the upper right and select Print > Print, and in the Print dialog box, click the PDF dropdown and select Open in Preview. This will show all your holdings in all your accounts, so you can see the cash in each one.

You can also see this on-screen, but you'd need to click the > to the left of each account. If you have a lot of accounts that could be annoying, which is why I suggested viewing it in Preview with fewer clicks. (I've been wishing the developers would add an "Expand All" button to the Portfolio view, as they did in Reports.)

Now, if you're going to tell me you want those cash accounts totaled, you could do Export > Export to CSV, open in your spreadsheet program of choice, and delete the non-cash securities rows. Not great, but it's a way to get what you want. 😉

• Ploooplooo
    Ploooplooo Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quite the solution, @jacobs! That solution (printing to preview) is better than going through each portfolio individually and noting what the cash balance is. Downloading to csv might actually be more work than what I'm already doing. Thanks to you and @Jon for your help.

This discussion has been closed.