How can I categorize a CD as Retirement Account? (Q Mac)

Options
Checkie
Checkie Member

I have a IRA CD. It is listed under my Savings accounts, but I'd like to be listed under Retirement accounts. Is this possible?

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Not really, no. You’d have to set it up as a Traditional or Roth IRA account to get it under the Retirement category but then you’d have to manage the account manually, you wouldn’t be able to set it up for online access. Quicken Mac doesn’t have a Retirement CD account type.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited October 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Not really, no. You’d have to set it up as a Traditional or Roth IRA account to get it under the Retirement category but then you’d have to manage the account manually, you wouldn’t be able to set it up for online access. Quicken Mac doesn’t have a Retirement CD account type.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'd actually be in favor of the option to just create a Brokerage account, using Type=Traditional IRA. You would have to manually enter you interest monthly or quarterly or however often you want, but since there aren't other transaction in a CD account, this isn't too onerous. (You could set up a scheduled — recurring — monthly transaction for interest income, and then all you'd need to do is edit the transaction for each month's actual interest amount.) To me, having this account tracked as a retirement account outweighs whatever small amount of manual adjusting it would take. (This might not be practical if you have dozens of staggered CDs, but if you have only one or a handful, I think this is the way I'd do it.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Another approach would be to create an IRA account as @jacobs suggest. But instead of entering interest as cash, create a security for the CD. There is actually a security type: CD built into QMac. As the value increases, enter price updates periodically.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.