Trying to install v6.11 on MacOS Ventura, but it auto-updates to v7

Options
GlenR
GlenR Member

How can I install Quicken v6.11 on MacOS Ventura without it auto-updating to v7. as I install it?

I want to have 6.11 on both computers. The other computer runs Mojave with Quicken 6.11.

Thank you for your consideration

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Try turning off your network connection while installing. Once it's installed you can turn it back on. It will bug you to update every time you run the program, but you can opt out.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

Thank you. I did remove the network connection to try an install - Quicken insists that I log on to complete the install so it can update to the latest version. I have to Force Quit.

Is there another option to install Quicken for Mac 6.11 on MacOS Ventura without it wanting to auto-update?

• Jon
    edited October 2023
    Options

Try downloading the appropriate disk image from this page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/mac/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has-0

When I installed 6.11.3 from there with the network disconnected, it didn't force me to turn the network back on right away. However, this was on a system that already had the current Quicken Mac installed. What you might do is go ahead & let it update to the latest version, get that working, then reinstall 6.11.3.

• GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

Thank you! I tried both suggestions and neither of them worked. I downloaded the old version, went through the install procedure and it auto-updated to 7.3.

I then let it install 7.3, then disconnected the network, then tried to install 6.11.3 and it said there was already a newer version installed and it would not let me load 6.11.3 and had to force quit to get out of the loop.

Is there another possible way to get 6.11 or 6.12 on to Ventura without it auto-updating or preventing me from installing the v6. ?

• Jon
    edited October 2023
    Options

OK, here's what I did on my system that already had 7.3 installed:

I made sure I was exited from any version of Quicken that's currently running. I dragged 6.11.3 from the dmg file to the desktop, and renamed it "Quicken 6.11.3". I then dragged that to the Applications folder, it can sit right next to Quicken 7.3. I then turned off the network connection and ran 6.11.3; I ignored its complaint about not having network access. I let it create a new Quicken file, and saved & exited as soon as it was convenient. I then turned the network connection back on and ran Quicken 6.11.3 again - it offered to update and I declined. You should be able to drag 7.3 to the trash at this point and keep using 6.11.3.

If this doesn't work for you then I'm out of ideas.

• GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

Thank you for trying, Jon. I did exactly as you described and Quicken 6.11.3 will not install when 7.3 is there - the only option it gives is to Quit, or use the more recent version of Quicken 7.3.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you have Quicken 6.11.3 on the Mojave Mac, you could try copying it to the Ventura Mac. On the Ventura Mac, delete the current Quicken.app. Also delete the current Quicken preferences file: in the Finder, hold down the Option key while selecting Go > Library; then navigate to the Preferences folder and delete the com.quicken.Quicken.plist file. (I'm not sure, but I suspect the preferences file may be driving it to install 7.3.) Also delete any .quicken data files you've created while installing Quicken 7.3.

On the older Mac, find Quicken.app in the Applicaitons folder, click it, and do File > Compress to create a .zip file copy. Copy this .zip file to the Ventura Mac. Double-click it to decompress it to Quicken.app, and place the program in the Applications folder. Now try launching Quicken, and it should launch the 6.11.3 version you put there and tell you there's a newer version available, which you should be able to close and proceed to use 6.11.3.

That said, I have to ask why you want the same version on both computers? Are you planning to use the same data file on both Macs? Quicken isn't designed for this, and you can corrupt your data file unless you do it very specifically:

1. You can't store the data file on a cloud storage service like iCloud or Dropbox. It must be stored on the local hard drive on each computer.
    2. You have to move the data file back and forth between computers, but you should only move a compressed copy — either a .zip file or a backup (.quickenbackup) file, never a live .quicken data file.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

Thank you, Jacobs! I will give your suggestion a go this evening.

Mojave is a 32-bit OS and subsequent OSX versions are 64-bit. I have many useful and necessary applications that will not run on 64-bit OSX. Unfortunately, 7.3 will not run on anything older than Catalina, so when I bit the bullet and upgraded to Macbook Pro M1 with Ventura, Quicken v7, a 64-bit application, will only operate on Catalina and later. Hopefully, your fix will do the trick and I can use 6.11 or 6.12 on all machines for the solution.

Prior to Ventura/Catalina, I shared the backup quicken file on both machines. The upgrade to the M1 MacBook put a stop to it as 7.3 is not backward compatible. It is purposely designed that way.

So very grateful for the help I've received here

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Mojave is a 32-bit OS and subsequent OSX versions are 64-bit.

Actually Mojave is a 64-bit OS, but it was capable of running 32-bit applications. (MacOS became 64-but with High Sierra.) But I understand your point. I still have one Mac running Mojave so I can run a few old apps I don’t want to pay to replace.

As for Quicken Mac, because the features are still being regularly added, most releases make changes to the database in order to enable the new features. So it’s not that they design Quicken Mac not to be backward compatible, it’s that the enhancements and added features make data files used with newer version unable to be used with older versions.

If you get version 6.x running, then you have a solution for a while. But you’ll be missing out on new features, and at some point, you’ll probably want to update and stop using Quicken on the old Mojave Mac. Might it be feasible for you to have Quicken on the new Mac, and use screen sharing on the old Mac so you could access Quicken on the new Mac?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

I followed your instructions to the letter, Jacobs.

After the v6.11 was zipped, then copied to the MacBook with Ventura, I unzipped it, then dragged Quicken to the Applications folder, then selected it to open.

After clicking to open with Wi-Fi off, it asked if I want to quit as the only option.

Immediately, upon opening after reconnecting to WiFi the MacBook, it started the update to 7.3.

I'll give Customer Support a call to see if there is any way to prevent it from auto-updating

I am using Quicken as a simple checkbook and a network connection isn't needed.

Thank you for your time!

• GlenR
    GlenR Member
    Options

To follow up:

I attempted the aforementioned fix again, but this time, I removed all internet traces and activities.

Your suggestion, Jacobs, plus removing all internet traces and activities, plus disconnecting the Ventura MacBook from WiFi allowed 6.11 to install. Using the backup file from the Mojave machine which has 6.11 allowed me to set it up on the Ventura machine. I use another file share server to keep the quicken backups and was able to save a backup from each OS without issue. Hopefully, as you suggest, it'll buy me much more time on the Mojave machine which has several 32 bit programs.

Problem now solved, thanks to you and Jon!!

This discussion has been closed.