How to use Quicken to track indexes within a portfolio view (solved)

Options
deaven
deaven Member ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Investing (Windows)

Like others in this forum, I have a use for index data and Quicken provides them (in my case I wanted to track FTW5000, but this works for any index AFAIK). However, I export a portfolio view to my other analysis tools and want the index data represented there, and this isn't currently implemented.

Here's a way to do it: go to the security view for the index and edit details. Change the "type" from "index" to "other", and change the ticker symbol from "INDEX:FTW5000" to "FTW5000" (or whatever index you like). Add two transactions to some investment account - one, buy 0.00001 shares, and two, misc cash deposit equal to the cost of the buy. Now, a portfolio report will include the index and its current quoted price, under the updated ticker.

Ref:

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can't actually hold a position in an Index, thus you can't track it as if it were a security.

You CAN, however, hold an ETF that mimics an Index.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

However, I export a portfolio view to my other analysis tools and want the index data represented there, and this isn't currently implemented.

In what fashion are the normal indexes not "currently implemented" in portfolio views.

OK, some data may be more or less complete that others, but what specifically are you after?

This discussion has been closed.