Unable to change category for reconciled transaction

Options
Richard Kennedy
Richard Kennedy Member ✭✭✭

Quicken Classic Premier Mac Version 7.3.2 (Build 703.50456.100) under macOS 13.5.2.

In an investment account, I want to change the transaction category for reconciled transaction from "Interest Earned" to "Investments:Interest Income", both of which are pre-defined categories. When I type "Investments:Interest Income" into the category, it asks if I want to "Create a new Category 'Investments:Interest Income'". I clicked on this to create a new category even though it already exists. When I click on "Save", the category reverts to "Interest Earned". How may I change the transaction category for reconciled transaction from "Interest Earned" to "Investments:Interest Income"? 

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

If you want to use the "Investments: Interest Income" category, you need to set the transaction type to "Interest Income"; it will then assign that category automatically.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The Investments category, and its subcategories, are reserved for use by Quicken's internal calculations related to investments. Investments:Interest Income is used internally if you record a transaction where Type=Interest Income. If you use a transaction with Type=Payment/Deposit and a category, you can't use the restricted Investments subcategories. Thus you can use Interest Earned. Both of these Interest categories will appear in a Tax Report, so it doesn't really matter. But if you're recording interest earned in an investment account, I'd recommend using the Type=Interest transaction instead of Payment/Deposit.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.