Software update - “UpdateIcons Stopped Working”

Options
dfatq
dfatq Member ✭✭

The last two updates it crashes with the Update Icons

Faulting application name: UpdateIcons.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0xa1b762d2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.3570, time stamp: 0xfaa05682
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0013d982
Faulting process id: 0x33a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01da020e79e65857
Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w744\temp\UpdateIcons.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: f50df4ad-022d-4434-b1f7-5de5f8d75a5d
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: UpdateIcons.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
at System.IO.File.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean)
at UpdateIcons.Program.Copy(System.String, System.String)
at UpdateIcons.Program.CopyIconsAndSplashScreen()
at UpdateIcons.Program.Main(System.String[])

Best Answer

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Are you running any antivirus software?

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-8497)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

Answers

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm using Win10 x64 pro, 32G Ram, i7 4th gen.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My UpdateIcons also crashed during Mondo Patch, but it appears the icons updated anyway.

I did Report A Problem and you should too.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing this problem too. It has happened twice at the end of the update process during the "Optimizing and executing files" and the error message is coming from Windows. This same error happened during the last two updates, the latest being R52.33 for Quicken Premier on 10/17/2023. I tried the "Reporting a problem" from within Quicken, but it too failed (4 times). I am using a Dell XPS 8940, Windows 10 Pro (19045.3570), 32GB of RAM, 2TB of SSD storage, Intel i9-10900K CPU, with a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 with 2GB of memory.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

It looks like there's an error in a directory name in the call to UpdateIcons.Program.Copy().

Exception Info: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32, System.String)
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(System.String, System.String, Boolean, Boolean)
    at System.IO.File.Copy(System.String, System.String, Boolean)
    at UpdateIcons.Program.Copy(System.String, System.String)

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Has anybody from Quicken Support acknowledged seeing this post or looking into it?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

I just re-downloaded and re-ran the Mondo patch, and it ran without any issues. So maybe they quietly fixed the problem. It was probably just a typo in a folder name. Try re-downloading and see whether it works.

• tale
    tale Member
    Options

Presumably this error can just be ignored as a nuisance, yes? Clicking it away seemed to let the update process complete normally, and it doesn't look like there's anything else that I have to do.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'll wait to see if it still exists in next months update. Even though it's a nuisance, I'm sure they still want it fixed. Bugs like these leave people concerned of other underlining problems, especially if they still haven't been addressed after several months.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

This same error occurred again yesterday when Quicken updated to the latest version.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I still get an error trying to report the error from within Quicken too. This too has been happening since this problem first started.

• JSGarrett
    Options

"Updates icons.exe caused an Unknown 0xE0434352 Exception at location 7767D982 in module KERNELBASE.dll"

Any Solutions?

• Stripedbass411
    Stripedbass411 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

I am getting the same error with the most recent upgrade from Quicken (Classic) Premier for Windows version R53.26 build 27.1.53.26 . This error surfaced for me on the first release of the Quicken for Windows rebranding to "Quicken Classic" a few months back. Ever since then every Quicken upgrade has generated the same error at the end of the installation.

The .NET framework errors are listed below for anyone on the Quicken Technical Support team who wishes to fix this problem. I would have also included the Windows error reporting dump files but those were all automatically deleted after the upgrade completed.

• Lorne Tweed
    Lorne Tweed Member ✭✭
    Options

Same thing happened to me today (Dec 11 2023), installed build 27.1.53.26. As others have reported everything seems to be working. This is the second update that had the problem. I've reported this to Quicken.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

Same problem occurred today with the latest update to Quicken Premier; "Update Icons Stopped Working". This is the 4th time it is happened to me with the Quicken software update; September through December updates. Also, I still cannot report an error through the Quicken Report a Problem to Quicken function. Has anyone from Quicken Support seen this issue and acknowledged that it is a problem they are working on?

• jrruss
    jrruss Member ✭✭
    Options

I too have had the same issue with the last two updates although even with the error notice, the update completed successfully.

• David Fash
    David Fash Member ✭✭
    Options

I received this same error the last two times I updated the quicken software.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Hello All,

Are you running any antivirus software?

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-8497)

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine

I am using Webroot antivirus software. Also, the Help→ Report a problem, does not work after I get this error. I have screen captures from that posted above on November 17th.

• Frank Jones
    Frank Jones Member ✭✭
    Options

A am also having this issue after a Quicken Update. Screenshot attached. I'm running the latest release of Windows 11.

• Mark5712
    Mark5712 Member ✭✭
    Options

I also had the issue this morning with the current update (R53.26). I believe I saw it once before during the icon change for the "Quicken Classic" rebranding. Running Windows 7 Professional. As mentioned already in this thread the error occurs during the "Optimizing and executing files" phase of the update installation:

The error message displayed has some additional information not recorded in this thread:

The problem details message reads in full:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: UpdateIcons.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: a1b762d2
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.7.3468.0
    Problem Signature 06: 5d490d67
    Problem Signature 07: 1688
    Problem Signature 08: fc
    Problem Signature 09: System.IO.DirectoryNotFound
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Everything seems to be working fine, so for my system this appears to be only a nuisance error.

-Mark

• Jeff Colter
    Jeff Colter Member ✭✭
    Options

Same thing here last 2 version updates have had the Update Icons error.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'm having the same problem with the Update Icons error again too. Also, this time I turned off my Anti-virus before starting the update. I am also still having problems with the Help → Report a Problem. @Quicken Jasmine

• andyross1
    andyross1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just adding a "me too" as far as the Event Viewer error. I don't get any popup from Windows. I get an Application Error and .NET Runtime Error logged, same as shown in the earlier posts. There are errors from 9/28/23, 10/19/23, 11/17/23, 12/13/23 and 12/22/23. I have a Quicken entry on my taskbar, and it seems to have the older icon. It appears to be getting it's icon from %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Quicken\Sku\rpm\custom\rpm.ico, which dates from 1/22/21. The icon in the Start menu is the new one.

• andyross1
    andyross1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Just to add: On another computer where Quicken had recently been installed from scratch (after the rebrand), the files in that directory are newer, and have the new icons. Also, when it did the recent update, there was NO error from the updateicons.exe program. I wonder if it is some form of permissions problem.

• Sunrise
    Sunrise Member ✭✭
    Options

Just adding an "I've got the same issues" as noted prior in this thread. Please just get it corrected so I don't have to worry that it is going to cause further issues down the line. Thanks!

• Guy Weglarz
    Guy Weglarz Member ✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing the same issue….

Quicken Classic PREMEIR

• Darren@
    Darren@ Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Yeap. Pretty sure I've had it happen every update since the branding change.

• andyross1
    andyross1 Member ✭✭
    Options

Despite manually updating the icons on my main computer, it still logged the same errors in the Event Log with the recent update (mid-Jan 2024).

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same problem with updating to R54.9 - Quicken Premier.

Also, I still cannot report the problem from within Quicken with Help → Report a Problem.