Software update - “UpdateIcons Stopped Working”

Options

Answers

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

I kept the old Quicken desktop icon and use it instead of the new one. Ever since doing that I have gotten this error and just "Close program" for UpdateIcons and ignore it.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

More details:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
    HResult=0x80070003
    Message=Could not find a part of the path 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Sku\CASHMANAGER_SUBSCR\Custom\cm_subscr.ico'.
    Source=mscorlib
    StackTrace:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
    at UpdateIcons.Program.Copy(String source, String destination)
    at UpdateIcons.Program.CopyIconsAndSplashScreen()
    at UpdateIcons.Program.Main(String[] args)

Note:

dir /a

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Sku

12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> .
    12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> ..
    12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> Deluxe
    12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> Premier
    12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> QNUE
    12/17/2017 02:33 PM <DIR> RPM
    0 File(s) 0 bytes
    6 Dir(s) 106,553,815,040 bytes free

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

I posted the problem but it keeps deleting it? Well it took this one so I'll edit:

HResult=0x80070003
    Message=Could not find a part of the path 'C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Sku\CASHMANAGER_SUBSCR\Custom\cm_subscr.ico'.
    Source=mscorlib
    StackTrace:
    at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
    at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)

Now, there is details I post a dir listing of that sku folder to show what's in there, then my message is deleted, maybe the greater than sign? Hmm.. well here is the contents:

0 File(s) 0 bytes

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Same problem updating to Quicken Classic Premier R54.16 today:

• Wrecks
    Wrecks Member
    Options

I have exact same symptoms as the3roots above. Happens every time Quicken updates itself. Windows 11 Pro.

• Stripedbass411
    Stripedbass411 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

A clean installation at this point is not too much for any of us to expect especially from a product that has been around as long as Quicken has. This installation problem is months old, is not an isolated case, end users have tried various means to diagnose it themselves, and the Quicken development team has done nothing to acknowledge the problem or announce a solution for it. Having a blaringly obvious error like this right after many upgrade releases can only make one wonder what else is not getting upgraded correctly. Very disappointing.

Reporting issues via the Quicken application seems to fall short as an avenue for delivering problems through. So, we can only hope that someone from the development management team will eventually come across these community posts, recognize a problem does exists, prioritize it accordingly, and send out an announcement acknowledging the problem. Time will tell.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicken Jasmine

Jasmine, you posted a question for the community back in December, but there hasn't been anything else since this started last fall. Is this being looked into by Quicken Support? Is it just a minor bug with the Update Icons or is there other install issues too? I think we're all getting a little frustrated with the lack of response from Quicken Support.

Also, I still cannot report the issue through Menu → Report a Problem, because it fails (see my earlier screen captures).

• LHollinger
    LHollinger Member
    Options

Today is Feb. 4, 2024, and I received the "Updateicons has stopped working" error, and the Quicken Update Program just keeps running with no progress.

I'll try closing the Updateicons program, and see what happens. That seemed to work. But what else happened behind the scenes? What does Updateicons do? and what happens when I close it?

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options

I gave the answer to the developers above, they should have NO trouble fixing it.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I usually just close the UpdateICons error and the Quicken update continues.

• tale
    tale Member ✭✭
    Options

Still happening and it's just a nuisance. Quicken please stop trying to execute the program at all until you've figured out what the problem is. Popup error messages to be puzzled about when the user can't really do anything about it are a very negative user experience.

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Still happening, reinstalled Mondo 27.1.54.16 and same error occurred. (UpdateIcons has stopped working). Windows 11

wags Glad to be here!

• Stripedbass411
    edited March 7
    Options

I just installed the most recent upgrade from Quicken (Classic) Premier for Windows version R55.12 build 27.1.55.12 without any "displayed" error from the UpdateIcons.exe during the update. It appears the Quicken development team put in the needed check for the existence of the file before trying to copy it but missed the additional check when trying to set the attributes on a non-existent file. Looking in the Windows event log this new error is only being logged in the background (see snapshots below).

• andyross1
    andyross1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I see no change. I have always only had the Event Log errors, and they are still being generated with the latest update.

• Stripedbass411
    Options

@andyross1 - Are the errors you experienced from the most recent update version R55.12 build 27.1.55.12 referring to the file copy exceptions or the setting of the file attribute exceptions?

• andyross1
    andyross1 Member ✭✭
    Options

They are the same errors as before. Just a fault from updateicons.exe, and a .NET Runtime error.

• studpup
    Options

Problem continues with 27.1.55.12

wags Glad to be here!

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12
    Options

My Quicken update shows R55.13 is available.

• studpup
    Options

Same with 55.13 :-(

wags Glad to be here!

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still the same error with the latest update R55.13 yesterday:

If it is a simply fix, why hasn't Quicken fixed it or even acknowledged the problem and mentioned it will be fixed? Is anyone from Quicken even following this?

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options

It is a very simple fix. I gave the developers the answer, apparently nobody from Quicken has given it to them.

• the3roots
    the3roots Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken updated to R55.15 today immediately upon loading, with the same error:

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

This looks like a Windows error from the error message. Here is some information via Copilot -

Not sure any of these suggestions will work, but it's worth a try.

When encountering the “Update Icons has stopped working” error, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

1. Check for Antivirus Software: Ensure that any antivirus or security software running on your system is not interfering with the update process. Sometimes, security software can cause conflicts with application updates. If you’re using any antivirus software, consider temporarily disabling it and then attempt the update again.
    2. Submit a Problem Report: If the issue persists, you can help contribute to the investigation by submitting a problem report to Quicken. Go to Help > Report a problem and provide log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible). This information will assist in diagnosing the problem1.
    3. System File Checker (SFC): Run the System File Checker utility to check for system file corruption. Follow these steps:
    4. Safe Mode: Boot your computer into Safe Mode to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, third-party software or drivers can cause conflicts. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, it indicates that an external factor might be causing the issue3.
    5. Reset Icon Cache: If your icons are corrupted or not displaying properly, you can reset the Windows 10 icon cache. One way to do this is by using the free Winaero Tweaker utility. It provides options for fixing common problems in Windows 10, including icon-related issues4.

Remember that these steps are general troubleshooting suggestions. Depending on your specific system configuration and the cause of the error, you may need to explore additional solutions. If the problem persists, consider seeking further assistance from technical support or community forums related to the software you’re using.

• tale
    tale Member ✭✭
    Options

This is still a probolem with each update, and really something Quicken ought to be addressing in a better way, not sending all of us down personal debugging steps. None of us should have to be going through the nonsense of rebooting to Safe Mode or trying to figure out if somehow antivirus software is causing the issue. And no, we don't all have system file corruption. The problem is clearly widespread.

• studpup
    Options

Continues today in Mondo 55.26:

wags Glad to be here!

• branquick
    branquick Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Just installed Version R55.26, Build 27.1.55.26, have been getting the above error for at least two previous updates. Have click on close program to finish the installing the update.

From Reliability History :

Description
    Faulting Application Path: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\Common\patch\quickenPatch\w2609\temp\UpdateIcons.exe

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: UpdateIcons.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: a1b762d2
    Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
    Problem Signature 05: 4.8.9232.0
    Problem Signature 06: 65efb849
    Problem Signature 07: 1693
    Problem Signature 08: fc
    Problem Signature 09: System.IO.DirectoryNotFound
    OS Version: 10.0.22631.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 2beb
    Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
    Additional Information 3: 961f
    Additional Information 4: 961f36ed85b52a292cef9c6041e9105d

Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 5d196e9ca67f6d6781d48b4f68cd8dc9 (1284804966884412873)

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options

Once again, if someone will give this information to the developers, they can fix it quick:

More details:

HResult=0x80070003
    Source=mscorlib
    StackTrace:

Note:

dir /a

0 File(s) 0 bytes

• studpup
    edited April 4
    Options

I tried creating that path and file, patched again and got a similar message, so there may be more than 1 directory/file that doesn't exist.

But thanks for trying to help troubleshoot it for Quicken!!!!

wags Glad to be here!

• dfatq
    dfatq Member ✭✭
    Options

you can install visual studio / windows debugger and when it crashes it will ask if you want to debug, since it looks like C# you get a good stack trace/info on exactly the issue.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I didn't like the new Quicken desktop icon, so I replaced it with the older icon which I copied from another computer and placed into

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Quicken\Sku\rpm\custom\rpm.ico

I still get the updateicons error during upgrades but I don't really want the new icon anyway, so I just Close Program for the error message popup.