Why does quicken display windows explorer when I open quicken?

Options
DavidGG
DavidGG Member ✭✭

Why does quicken display windows explorer when I open quicken? When I start / open Quicken it sometimes displays the Quicken home page but sometimes displays a Windows Explore window. Why does it do this? Is this a known issue?

Using latest version of Quicken and Windows. Quicken is installed on my laptop.

Which category and sub-category does this belong in?

Thanks

Answers

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's the path to your data file? I'm going to guess that you might have it in a Onedrive, or other cloud, path.

• DavidGG
    DavidGG Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. The path is C:\A Quicken to the ALL 20040821 file.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Please give us the FULL path … starting with the drive letter and ending with .QDF

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DavidGG
    DavidGG Member ✭✭
    Options

Sure.

Thanks. The path and filename is C:\A Quicken\ALL 20040821.qdf

Directory of C:\A Quicken

22-Oct-23 12:31 55,653,268 ALL 20040821.QDF
    22-Oct-23 12:19 793,840 ALL 20040821OFXLOG.DAT
    22-Oct-23 12:19 1,432,898 all 20040821_SyncLog.dat

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken frequently has problems with Spaces in the file path.

Can you rename the folder and the Q data file to remove them?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DavidGG
    DavidGG Member ✭✭
    Options

I can try that. It has worked with a space in the filename for years with no problem. I think this problem only started this year. Quicken opens OK behind the Windows Explorer display, I just have to minimize that window. I guess nobody else has experienced this exact problem.

Thanks for your suggestion.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It is not a known issue and others are not reporting any similar issue (to my knowledge).

How are you starting Quicken?

From a Windows program icon? From an icon on the taskbar? From a shortcut? From a file shortcut.

If you start from the Explorer folder with the QDF file and double click that QDF file, does the program open normally.

Fundamentally, I suspect something in your Windows setup rather than a true Quicken issue.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This past weekend I was trying to restore some backup files to compare some data in them with data in my main file. Normally, the backup restoration process will bring up this popup showing just the backup files for the data file that is already open in Quicken.:

But twice instead of bringing up this popup Windows Explorer would launch and open the entire backup directory and show me all backup files for all data files. It was like Quicken just bypassed this popup and instead went directly to Open Backup Directory. I've never seen that happen before.

I was able to select the backup files I wanted and Quicken did properly restore them.

I did not report it at the time because it happened to me only 2X, both instances were within just a few minutes of each other and it has not happened since.

I have not had this happen to me while launching Quicken nor when trying to open another main (.QDF) data file after Quicken was open.

So now there are 2 users saying that Quicken opened Windows Explorer when trying to open a Quicken file. The circumstances surrounding them might be different but they both had this odd opening of Windows Explorer so maybe the root causes are related? I think we need to keep an eye on this to see if there are more reports of this happening. Quicken will need more than what is stated in this thread in order to troubleshoot and resolve it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.